Describe Colors For Now Blind Web Developers

blaineclrk

OK, I need to explain that a bunch don't I? What I'm getting at, is there any site that has a decent descriptive phrase that goes along with the name and HEX value of colours? I've been trying to find one for a friend who does Web Development and who lost his sight at the age of 19. He has a great memory of colours that he's seen and I've been trying hard to come up with my own descriptions for him. There are so many colours!! There are tooo many colours!! Oh please, tell me there's something out there!

W3Schools' HTML Color Names page shows the colors that have a name, and their corresponding hex value.It's impossible to describe every value of course... you can't (easily?) make a program that would say "red minus 2 red value" or "yellow plus 3 blue".BTW, I would suggest to your friend that he goes into usability and accessibility testing, instead of design (I mean... why bother with colors?). Actual blind people are priceless in such tests, as they are the final barrier - if the experience is good for them, it is (or can easily be tailored to) anybody else. The fact he is also a web developer makes him even more priceless as a tester, because he can actually suggest a direct solution with technical terms (e.g. "There should be a skip link here", "the alt is meaningless", "JAWS doesn't read this properly, because you're using onmousemove", etc.).

Well, that's good, testing and so forth. But 'Doc' wants to know (or be able to picture in his mind) how his presentation is. Just like a chef, he knows that the food can taste great, but its presentation is just as important. If the best meat sauce is accidentally dribbled over the candied carrots, the whole plate is ruined. Here's a couple of descriptions I've sent to him;alice blue is an off-white, or what I'd call a bone white. There's really not enough blue in it to even call it blue, but there's just enough tint you cannot really call it a very light charcoal grey.cadet blue is a medium dark to nearly true dark Teal, or a dark dusky green, or like grass after a very hard frost.cornflower blue is a light-medium blue with a hint of charcoal rubbed through it. Kind of like old blue jeans that are halfway between new and worn out, right in that comfortable stage!These are what he's after, something he can picture and then use just right. He uses the tests you mentioned plus, and then has his work critiqued by someone sighted, a friend or customer or fellow webber. He's not looking to just pass those tests you mentioned, he's out to pass the world test! I'm not sure how long he's been doing design work, but I know he wouldn't be satisfied not designing! His blindness isn't a handicap, it's a challenge!Merry Christmas!

Other than writing a text description for each color, really the only thing you can do is describe how much of each color is present. If you take this color, for example:#4D9AB2You would need to translate that to percentages. So:red=4Dgreen=9Ablue=B2Convert from hex to decimal:red=77green=154blue=178The max is 255, so take the percentage:red=30%green=60%blue=70%So you could say that #4D9AB2 is made up of 30% red, 60% green, and 70% blue, but that's about as quantitative as you can get. You know that the dominant colors are green and blue so it's going to be a shade of teal (slightly more blue than green), and since the max is only 70% it's not going to be all that light, so that represents a darkish teal color.

Archived