Where The Work Is At

Caitlin-havener

I am learning all this awesome stuff! I am a digital media major but I'm already getting really good at adobe suite, html and css. I've got other stuff under my belt as well. I just wanted to know, in your opinion, what script/code(s) should I look to specialize in that will have the most return in the future? I have been told Javascript, Flash... so many things... I'm looking to move to the Fla Keys next year too so it might need to be something I can do virtually or start a business. My love is web development and graphic design (I'm a nerd and an artist) <3

xml of course and by extension xslt, but try to master the fundamentals of DTD, very important even in an xml only context (not SGML) since they are the building blocks of all these meta languages.Scripting is good to know too but CSS is more important to begin.If you really want to master web technologies get a book, my recommendation:XHTML black book by Steven Holzner.Steer clear of so-called "bibles" as they are only really blanket references at the end of the day and serve little in the way of helping to gain understanding.

xml of course and by extension xslt, but try to master the fundamentals of DTD, very important even in an xml only context (not SGML) since they are the building blocks of all these meta languages.Scripting is good to know too but CSS is more important to begin.If you really want to master web technologies get a book, my recommendation:XHTML black book by Steven Holzner.Steer clear of so-called "bibles" as they are only really blanket references at the end of the day and serve little in the way of helping to gain understanding.
I've reviewed XML but could you give me a good idea for a website I could make to practice it? I don't really understand what exactly it is used for and why it is important.

The best way to get some good practice is to just do it. Although a bit vague, find people who have projects that will challenge you with languages or requests that you are kind of fuzzy on. Then, come here, ask questions and learn! As you know, we're all very friendly. :)

XML is a language used to transfer data, it's basically a giant text-based data structure. For what it's worth, I virtually never use XML, any time where I would need to use XML there's usually a better (easier, smaller, or faster) alternative.I would second Javascript and Flash. You may not need both, but Javascript is going to be a lot better for doing entire web sites, while Flash will be better for building a special-purpose application like a game, or like grooveshark.com or something where the site is basically one thing (the Flash application).Check out these examples, this is virtually entirely done with Javascript and CSS:http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/samples.htmlThe charts use a Flash movie for display, but I think that's the only use of Flash there. You can do a lot with some Javascript and CSS. I've been using that almost exclusively the past year or two in my applications, it's made a huge difference in the quality and usability. It's a lot easier to use a web application when it behaves more like a desktop application (double-clicking, drag and drop, real-time sorting, etc).As an aside, are you using CS4? We recently upgraded to Flash CS4 here and almost everyone is having problems with it. On my machine, when I do nearly anything (click an object on the stage, select something in the library, change frames, mouse over the menus, drag the actions panel around, etc) the entire interface freezes for about 10-20 seconds. The other day it took me about 5 minutes to export 7 1-frame movies. Have you heard about any issues?

Here's a good tutorial (by w3schools of course)http://www.w3schools.com/Xml/default.aspThe funny thing about XML and tutorials, is often as you are trying to discover, there is never the context around the subject in order to help someone understand.xml syntax isn't too difficult but the question of "what is xml used for" well in a web based context, not much unless other languages (or vocabularies) are employed, not diametrically dissimilar to how HTML + CSS go together, xml & xslt go together as well.It's probably worth mentioning that for most purposes, xml isn't ultimately required, what is really worth mastering is XHTML, & CSS, those two languages can accomplish many things. As for the former, ie xhtml, well that is relatively easy to grasp but the latter, eg CSS is not as simple as it seems, particularly when you get involved with things such as positioning which can behave very differently in the browsers but for the most part are fairly standardized.HTH's

XML is a language used to transfer data, it's basically a giant text-based data structure. For what it's worth, I virtually never use XML, any time where I would need to use XML there's usually a better (easier, smaller, or faster) alternative.I would second Javascript and Flash. You may not need both, but Javascript is going to be a lot better for doing entire web sites, while Flash will be better for building a special-purpose application like a game, or like grooveshark.com or something where the site is basically one thing (the Flash application).Check out these examples, this is virtually entirely done with Javascript and CSS:http://www.extjs.com/deploy/dev/examples/samples.htmlThe charts use a Flash movie for display, but I think that's the only use of Flash there. You can do a lot with some Javascript and CSS. I've been using that almost exclusively the past year or two in my applications, it's made a huge difference in the quality and usability. It's a lot easier to use a web application when it behaves more like a desktop application (double-clicking, drag and drop, real-time sorting, etc).As an aside, are you using CS4? We recently upgraded to Flash CS4 here and almost everyone is having problems with it. On my machine, when I do nearly anything (click an object on the stage, select something in the library, change frames, mouse over the menus, drag the actions panel around, etc) the entire interface freezes for about 10-20 seconds. The other day it took me about 5 minutes to export 7 1-frame movies. Have you heard about any issues?
I don't personally have CS4. At work I have CS4 for photoshop and illustrator. I have used CS4 flash at school, but not extensively so I apologize that I cannot say I have had any issues myself.

• 3 weeks later...
XML is a language used to transfer data, it's basically a giant text-based data structure. For what it's worth, I virtually never use XML, any time where I would need to use XML there's usually a better (easier, smaller, or faster) alternative.
I would agree. I rarely write XML for practical purposes. I've only used XML to parse through a web service, which would require a server side language like PHP, ColdFusion etc. To start I'd recommend javascript and then php/mysql.

check this out from monsterlooks like 2010 is good for web developers:

Social Media on the RiseApplication developers and Web developers will be in demand in 2010 as companies try to leverage social media and interactive Web sites. Starting salaries for senior Web developers will be $78,000 to $109,500 in 2010, Robert Half Technology predicts. The hottest skills related to social media include: Microsoft Commerce Server, Java, SOAP, Python, Microsoft SharePoint, C, SQL and Sybase Adaptive Server, Foote says

Archived