Need To Set A Solid Background Behind Several Blocks.

GPSJane

I am trying to set a solid background behind several blocks on top of a patterned background which cover the entire browser window.Look at http://weblizard.co.za.plesk8.wadns.net/en...commodation.php and you will see that the pattern shows up below the left menu bar because that menu bar is too short. I can't extend it because then it gets too long and besides I can't always guarantee the height of the content DIV. I tried creating a large white block behind all this but I can't get it to even appear. I am not sure how to position it though since the main blocks are all centered but fixed position blocks need absolute coords.Second issue: I also need to get the footer to appear right at the bottom when the content DIV is shorter than the window. Ie. when the content is long the whole thing pushes the window bigger (so you scroll down to see the footer) and therefore the footer is against the bottom border of the window. But when the content is short the footer is left in the middle of the page which looks terrible.

wrap your menu div and the conent div with an 'outer' div.Add the background to the outer div, and set the backgrounds for the menu + content div's to transparent for the outer div to show through.

for the footer issue, google ryan fait sticky footer
That sticky footer is very cool. I never knew about minimum height!It actually solved all the problems because it has a wrapper anyway which I just made a solid color.It also explained why my wrapper wasn't working.Happy happy happy :)

Archived