Home Php Capable Server

bw83

I wanted to be able to setup a local server to test PHP websites that I'm working on so I dont have to continually update my online server just to check stuff while I'm working on them. I went through and installed all three items from http://www.w3schools.com/php/php_install.asp this portion of the tutorial but still had no luck getting my computer to use the

<?php include("navhead.php"); ?>

that was in the file. I have an extra laptop that I can use to install a different operating system other than windows if that makes the process easier but if possible I wanted to use my home server computer that I have as it would be more convienent (it is running Windows 7 ultimate). Is there a way to make a windows 7 computer properly open a .php file and if not what OS should I use for this?

To make it easy you can just install a pre-configured WAMP stack (on Win7), such as WampServer. Manual installs are always very fiddly.For your current setup, are you accessing the files through the localhost address?

To make it easy you can just install a pre-configured WAMP stack (on Win7), such as WampServer. Manual installs are always very fiddly.For your current setup, are you accessing the files through the localhost address?
I'm going to guess that im not accessing them through the localhost address since is all I was doing was right clicking the .php file and "open with" firefox/IE. Since I would say that I am on the lower side of the PHP server knowledge base I will try to install the WampServer or the USBwebserver mentioned and see if I can get either of those working before posting any other issues I am having. Thank you

I was able to get the WampServer2 to work for me and figured out what was meant by the localhost. I am going to try the USBwebserver on another computer to figure out if there is any noticeable difference but it seems that if it is working then that is all I need since I am merely using it as a test server and not trying to host. Thank you all for the help

USBwebserver is designed to be portable (i.e. small, and not requiring installation), however WampServer has more features (e.g. the one-click ability to install additional Apache and PHP modules). Both will be able to serve PHP files over HTTP from your computer, but unless you plan to run the server from your USB stick on many different computers than WampServer is a better choice.

Archived