Complicated

Twango

Hey, i need help, i make a script-download website, and i am making a customizable clock, i have the internal html, and such, i want to use document.getElementById to change it, but first, the writing it to the webpage isnt working.here's the working code:

<html><body onLoad="clock()"><script type="text/javascript">function clock(){d=new Date();seconds=d.getSeconds();hours=["NULL","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12"];isap=["NULL","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","NOON","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","MIDNIGHT"];hours=hours[d.getHours()];minutes=d.getMinutes();if (seconds<10){seconds="0" + seconds;}else{seconds=d.getSeconds();}if (minutes<10){minutes="0" + minutes;}else{minutes=d.getMinutes();}document.getElementById('tmclock').innerHTML=hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds + " " + isap[d.getHours()];var reset=setTimeout("clock()",1000);}</script><b><font color="Lawngreen" style="font-family:Arial Black"><p id="tmclock"></p></font></b></body></html>

and here's how i'm writing it

text id="nr"><!--Free From ScriptFreak.weebly.com--><br/><html><br/><body onLoad="clock()"><br/><script type="text/javascript"><br/>function clock()<br/>{<br/>d=new Date();<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>hours=["NULL","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12"];<br/>isap=["NULL","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","NOON","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","MIDNIGHT"];<br/>hours=hours[d.getHours()];<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>if(seconds<10)<br/>{<br/>seconds="0" + seconds;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>}<br/>if(minutes<10)<br/>{<br/>minutes="0" + minutes;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>}<br/>document.getElementById('tmclock').innerHTML=hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds + " " + isap[d.getHours()];<br/>var reset=setTimeout("clock()",1000);<br/></script><br/></text><text id="chng1"><b><font color="Lawngreen"</text><text id="chng2"> style="font-family:Arial Black"><p id="tmclock"></p></font></b><br/></body><br/></html>

Yet when i copy and paste it. the HTML doesn't work, please help, thanks!

text id="nr">What is that for? What are you trying to use a <text> element for anyway? There's no such element. It's best to use something to encode all of the characters to their HTML entities, PHP has a function that will do that, and another that will add <br> tags to newlines. You missed a couple characters that should have been encoded but weren't.

and here's how i'm writing it
text id="nr"><!--Free From ScriptFreak.weebly.com--><br/><html><br/><body onLoad="clock()"><br/><script type="text/javascript"><br/>function clock()<br/>{<br/>d=new Date();<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>hours=["NULL","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12"];<br/>isap=["NULL","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","NOON","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","MIDNIGHT"];<br/>hours=hours[d.getHours()];<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>if(seconds<10)<br/>{<br/>seconds="0" + seconds;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>}<br/>if(minutes<10)<br/>{<br/>minutes="0" + minutes;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>}<br/>document.getElementById('tmclock').innerHTML=hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds + " " + isap[d.getHours()];<br/>var reset=setTimeout("clock()",1000);<br/></script><br/></text><text id="chng1"><b><font color="Lawngreen"</text><text id="chng2"> style="font-family:Arial Black"><p id="tmclock"></p></font></b><br/></body><br/></html>

Yet when i copy and paste it. the HTML doesn't work, please help, thanks!

Hopefully this isn't what your code looks like in the source file. All the < and > entities should be < and > otherwise you are only printing those characters to the screen, not creating HTML tags.Also, could you be more specific by 'doesn't work.'

<font id="nr"><!--Free From ScriptFreak.weebly.com--><br/><html><br/><body onLoad="clock()"><br/><script type="text/javascript"><br/>function clock()<br/>{<br/>d=new Date();<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>hours=["NULL","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12"];<br/>isap=["NULL","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","NOON","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","MIDNIGHT"];<br/>hours=hours[d.getHours()];<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>if(seconds<10)<br/>{<br/>seconds="0" + seconds;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>}<br/>if(minutes<10)<br/>{<br/>minutes="0" + minutes;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>}<br/>document.getElementById('tmclock').innerHTML=hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds + " " + isap[d.getHours()];<br/>var reset=setTimeout("clock()",1000);<br/></script><br/></font><font id="chng1"><b><font color="Lawngreen"</font><font id="chng2"> style="font-family:Arial Black"><p id="tmclock"></p></font></b><br/></body><br/></html></font>

OK that's correct, i would have that on my page. then with a <select> users can update the color and font, (document.get...) then they would copy/paste to the page that they want it ati copy and paste the result and it is just blank!

OK that's correct, i would have that on my page. then with a <select> users can update the color and font, (document.get...) then they would copy/paste to the page that they want it ati copy and paste the result and it is just blank!
Ok, yea sorry, that one went over my head. Bit of a moment there! :) Anyways, you missed a closing bracket on your function. That should fix it I think.

OK that's correct
No it's not, you still missed at least one character. Start with your original code, and find and replace "<" characters (you don't need to replace ">"), then add your additional code in.It's not blank either, when I copy and paste that into a new document it's definitely not blank.

Thanks JKLOTH. i fixed it if you want to see. here it is:

<script type="text/javascript">function crp(color){var ind=color;document.getElementById('chng1').innerHTML=ind;doprecolor(color);}function frp(font){inc=font;document.getElementById('chng2').innerHTML=inc;doprefont(font)}function doprefont(font){document.getElementById('Pr').style.fontFamily=font;}function doprecolor(color){document.getElementById('Pr').style.color=color;}</script><br/><b>Change Color:</b><select onchange="crp(value)"><option value="Lawn Green" selected>Select</option><option value="Red">Red</option><option value="Darkred">Dark Red</option><option value="Orange">Orange</option><option value="Darkorange">Dark Orange</option><option value="Yellow">Yellow</option><option value="#FFCC00">Dark Yellow</option><option value="Green">Green</option><option value="Darkgreen">Dark Green</option><option value="#99FF00">Neon Green</option><option value="Lawngreen">Lawn Green</option><option value="Blue">Blue</option><option value="Darkblue">Dark Blue</option><option value="Indigo">Indigo</option><option value="Violet">Violet</option><option value="Purple">Purple</option><option value="#660066">Dark Purple</option></select><br/><b>Change Font:</b><select onchange="frp(value)"><option value="Arial Black" selected>Select</option><option value="Arial">Arial</option><option value="Arial Black">Arial Black</option><option value="Arial Narrow">Arial Narrow</option><option value="BatangChe">BatangChe</option><option value="Belwe Cn BT">Belwe Cn BT</option><option value="Blackadder ITC">Blackadder ITC</option><option value="BRAZIL">BRAZIL</option><option value="CENA">CENA</option><option value="Century Gothic">Century Gothic</option><option value="Courier New">Courier New</option><option value="Times New Roman">TNR</option></select><br/><font color="Lawngreen" style="font-family:arial black"><b id="Pr"> Preview: 12:09:59 PM</b></font><br/><b>Copy And Paste This Code into an HTML Section to use:</b><br/><text id="nr"><!--Free From ScriptFreak.weebly.com--><br/><html><br/><body onLoad="clock()"><br/><script type="text/javascript"><br/>function clock()<br/>{<br/>d=new Date();<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>hours=["NULL","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12","1","2","3","4","5","6","7","8","9","10","11","12"];<br/>isap=["NULL","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","AM","NOON","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","PM","MIDNIGHT"];<br/>hours=hours[d.getHours()];<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>if(seconds<10)<br/>{<br/>seconds="0" + seconds;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>seconds=d.getSeconds();<br/>}<br/>if(minutes<10)<br/>{<br/>minutes="0" + minutes;<br/>}<br/>else<br/>{<br/>minutes=d.getMinutes();<br/>}<br/>document.getElementById('tmclock').innerHTML=hours + ":" + minutes + ":" + seconds + " " + isap[d.getHours()];<br/>var reset=setTimeout("clock()",1000);<br/>}<br/></script><br/></text><b><b><font color="<b id="chng1">Lawngreen</b>"</b><b> style="font-family:<b id="chng2">Arial Black</b>"><p id="tmclock"></p></font></b><br/></body><br/></html></b>

On the page you can chose from a wide array of Fonts and Colors.then copy and paste the code to your page and a realtime clock will come up in 9:09:05 A/PM/MN/NOON formatTook about 5hrs to make tops. enjoy

FYI, these were the characters I was talking about:if (seconds<10)...if (minutes<10)
The < symbol in these lines of your code should be converted to html entities <BTW, justsomeguy, for this to validate wouldn't you also need to encode the > symbols too?

The > character only has meaning when it's closing a tag (or when the browser thinks it is), if it's not in a position where it would close a tag then the browser wouldn't have a problem with it.I didn't look at the spec or the validator, that's just what I'm assuming.

Archived