Login System

Mencarta

I have index.php:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html>	<head>		<title>$Prince Finance, Login</title>	</head>	<body>		<form action="login.php" method="post">			Username: <input type="text" name="username" maxlength="13" />			<br />			Password: <input type="password" name="password" maxlength="13" />			<br />			<input type="submit" value="Log In" />		</form>	</body></html>

login.php:

<?php	require_once("dbconnect.php"); //Include Database Connection Script	session_start();		//Check Fields	if (empty($_POST["username"]) || empty($_POST["password"])) {		echo "Please Fill Out All Fields";		exit;	}		$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["username"]); //Escape Username	$password = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["password"]); //EScape Password	$password = sha1($password); //Convert Password To Sha1		$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' and password='$password'";	$result = mysql_query($sql);	if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {		session_register("username");		$_SESSION["username"] = $username;		header("Location: members.php");		exit;	}	echo "Invalid Username and/or Password.";?>

I get this error: Notice: Undefined index: username in /www/zxq.net/p/r/i/princefinance/htdocs/login.php on line 6 Notice: Undefined index: password in /www/zxq.net/p/r/i/princefinance/htdocs/login.php on line 7Any suggestions?

You need to check if $_POST['username'] and $_POST['password'] even exist before doing anything with them:

if(isset($_POST['username']) && isset($_POST['password'])) {  // The rest of the code}

What exactly did you tried? Anyhow, try to add those isset() checks into the check for empty field:

if (!isset($_POST["username"]) || !isset($_POST["password"]) || empty($_POST["username"]) || empty($_POST["password"])) {		echo "Please Fill Out All Fields";	exit;	}}

Ya, well this works so I have no clue why:login.php

<?php	require_once("dbconnect.php"); //Include Database Connection Script	session_start();		//Check Fields	if (empty($_POST["username"]) || empty($_POST["password"])) {		echo "Please Fill Out All Fields";		exit;	}		$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["username"]); //Escape Username	$password = mysql_real_escape_string($_POST["password"]); //EScape Password	$password = sha1($password); //Convert Password To Sha1		$sql = "SELECT * FROM users WHERE username='$username' and password='$password'";	$result = mysql_query($sql);	if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0) {		session_register("username");		$_SESSION["username"] = $username;		echo "Hallo ".$_SESSION["username"]."!";		exit;	}	echo "Invalid Username and/or Password.";?>

Use $_SESSION. But session_register() is unnecessary and it's even preferrable that you don't use it:

This function has been DEPRECATED as of PHP 5.3.0 and REMOVED as of PHP 6.0.0. Relying on this feature is highly discouraged.
CautionIf you are using $_SESSION (or $HTTP_SESSION_VARS), do not use session_register(), session_is_registered(), and session_unregister().
var_dump() will show you if the $_POST variables that you're looking for were sent to the server or not.The problem with your script is that it's expecting $_POST['username'] and $_POST['password'] to be set, but if the form isn't sent then those array indices do not exist and it will give a notice.

Make sure you're not trying to read the variable before calling session_start().

No, it's session_register() that you don't use. session_start() is necessary if you want to access the session at all.

Archived