Horizontal Navigation Background Colour Change

son

I have a horizontal nav bar as<ul class="top"><li><a href="index.php" title="Home">Home</a></li><li><a href="about.php" title="About">About</a></li><li><a href="contact.php" title="Contact">Contact</a></li></ul>and would like to change background color for hover. I have it working in general, but how do I make it fill out the whole height of ul (class top)? Tried few things, but all not working...Son

What does it look like currently and how do you expect it to look?
Just got it working (and now have to figure our how to make it with a nice gradient;-)..Use now:
* {border:none; margin:0; padding:0; list-style-type:none;}.nav {width:800px;background-color: #999; margin-bottom:20px;}.nav ul li {float:left;}.nav ul li a {display:block;padding:8px 14px;background-color:#999; color:#FFF;font-weight:normal;}.nav ul li a.current {background-color:#262261;color:#FFF;}.nav ul li a:hover {background-color:#262261; color:#FFF;}

for css and

<div class="nav"><ul><li><a href="index.php" title="Home">Home</a></li><li><a href="about.php" title="About">About</a></li><li><a href="contact.php" title="Contact">Contact</a></li></ul></div>

Many thanks. The mention of 'float' certainly helped my brain to think of a solution...Son

Archived