Backup Db Code

son

I try to backup my database with php. But also it all first seems to run fine, it returns an empty result set when I try to import the SQL file. The code is:

<?phprequire_once ('/path/to/file/connect.php'); // connect to databasefunction datadump ($table) {    $result .= "# Dump of $table \n";    $result .= "# Dump DATE : " . date("d-M-Y") ."\n\n";    $query = mysqli_query("select * from $table");    $num_fields = @mysqli_num_fields($query);    $numrow = mysqli_num_rows($query);    for ($i =0; $i<$numrow; $i++) {      $result .= "INSERT INTO ".$table." VALUES(";          for($j=0; $j<$num_fields; $j++) {          $row[$j] = addslashes($row[$j]);          $row[$j] = ereg_replace("\n","\\n",$row[$j]);          if (isset($row[$j])) $result .= "\"$row[$j]\"" ; else $result .= "\"\"";          if ($j<($num_fields-1)) $result .= ",";         }         $result .= ");\n";     }     return $result . "\n\n\n";  }$table1 = datadump ("content1");$table2 = datadump ("content2");$table3 = datadump ("content3");$content = $table1 . $table2 . $table3;$file_name = "MySQL_Database_Backup.sql";Header("Content-type: application/octet-stream");Header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$file_name");echo $content;exit;?>

Can anyone see what is wrong in my code?Son

A series of insert statements shouldn't return a result set, only a select statement returns a result set. You will want to reset the value of $result every time through the function though, you never initialize that variable you just start adding to it.

A series of insert statements shouldn't return a result set, only a select statement returns a result set. You will want to reset the value of $result every time through the function though, you never initialize that variable you just start adding to it.
I got your first point (A series of insert statements shouldn't return a result set, only a select statement returns a result set. ), but am lost in what you mean by the second bit... Could you explain?Son

Look at the first line of your function:

function datadump ($table) {	$result .= "# Dump of $table \n";

That is the same as saying $result = $result . "# Dump of $table \n";. The problem is that $result is not defined, you're trying to append something to the end of an undefined value.

• 3 months later...
Look at the first line of your function:
function datadump ($table) {	$result .= "# Dump of $table \n";

That is the same as saying $result = $result . "# Dump of $table \n";. The problem is that $result is not defined, you're trying to append something to the end of an undefined value.

Thanks for reply, will look into this again...Son

Archived