Flyout Menu Using Existing Tables

Vegdawg

Hello,I have an existing web page composed in Dreamweaver CS3 with a navigation table on the left side. I would like to adapt one of the navigation menu topics to be expanded to show more options, ie flyout. All the examples I have seen for this task involve the use of lists, <li>, <ul>. Is there a way to create a expandable menu using the existing table format? I have attempted to change the menu from <td> to a <li> which has caused great disruptions of the container and table layout, and I am afraid that any menu format change would necessitate a total CSS reconstruction which I would like to avoid if possible. I welcome any suggestions. Thank you for your helpVegdawg

I think the whole basis of fly-out menu's revolves around using lists. In fact, I think most complex menu systems use lists.It is correct nowadays to code webpages using semantic markup. Trying to represent a menu using tables is not semantic, because tables are used for displaying tabular data. Converting to a fly-out list shouldn't be too hard. Use an example you like and replace their content with yours, then slowly start changing the CSS to match your needs.A good place for lists is http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/

sad, more work for me, I will surely give it a try thank you for the information, do you think I will be able to keep the same layout using a list and changing the CSS? The URL is http://www.plantmineralnutrition.net I would like to keep the same general layout, and with lists it seems to change the style of how the navigation looks, any thoughts on putting a list into an existing table cell? Is that possible? Thanks

I think the whole basis of fly-out menu's revolves around using lists. In fact, I think most complex menu systems use lists.It is correct nowadays to code webpages using semantic markup. Trying to represent a menu using tables is not semantic, because tables are used for displaying tabular data. Converting to a fly-out list shouldn't be too hard. Use an example you like and replace their content with yours, then slowly start changing the CSS to match your needs.A good place for lists is http://www.cssplay.co.uk/menus/

yeah, look at that site. There must be tons of vertical lists that you can adapt both functionally and stylistically. Get started and let us know where you need help. Avoid the tables unless its for tabular data; just forget about them for anything but.

Good advice, I will give it a try, thank you for your help I really appreciate it...

yeah, look at that site. There must be tons of vertical lists that you can adapt both functionally and stylistically. Get started and let us know where you need help. Avoid the tables unless its for tabular data; just forget about them for anything but.

Archived