To Open A New Window Or Not, That Is My Question

Elemental

Hello Folks, After receiving the much appreciated explanation and examples from Deirdre's Dad on my JavaScript question I remembered that many topics / forums I encountered, when searching for an answer to the above referenced, were against the opening of new windows; "leave that for the user to decide" was pretty much the the consensus across the board.So, with that in mind…Why?I'm not looking to PO anyone; I'm just looking for answers as to why this is such a strong feeling amongst web aficionados, or is it?.As an artist, which is primarily what I am, I create things to be viewed or experienced a certain way. This may sound rude, selfish or even egotistical but as the creator of the art I want you to see it how I intended it to be seen.When I write a play or even a scene it follows a structure that needs to be adhered to otherwise it would make no sense to the reader or the viewer, if the piece was being performed.Looking forward to reading your answers; good, bad or indifferent.Peace,Elemental

A lot of users find new windows annoying. Giving them the choice is usually the better idea.For what you want, I wonder if a Flash project would be more suitable. Something with sliding panels? This can also be accomplished with some JavaScript libraries. The idea would be to change the user's focus of attention without the fuss and potential bookmarking problems of other windows. (If money is an issue, the JS libraries would certainly be cheaper!)I don't know. I'm mostly saying that there are other options to consider. Knowing what's available can help and even suggest your design decisions.

Synook and Deirdre's Dad, Thank you both for your input, much appreciated.I know there's a lot to learn, and more to learn after I learn what I've yet to learn; your patience and understanding with the likes of me are... well, much appreciated.I asked the question because I simply want the user to click a link if they want to see an image of what I'm talking about versus having the image load and take up time and bandwidth. If it were one or two images I guess there wouldn't be much of an issue but when it gets to be 8, 12 or more images I thought that would be an issue and thus the second window.As per my previous post in the JavaScript Forum, the window, my second window, was of a certain size and placement which I knew if JavaScript was disabled the browser would follow its default action. I also thought it would be annoying to have to follow the browsers defaults just to see an image and then return to continue reading. Again, one or two images maybe okay but 8, 12 or more, that would drive me nuts.Thanks again.Peace,Elemental

You may be right. :) Waiting for a lot of stuff to download can be unpleasant. And since you're already far along in this technique, maybe the thing to do is try it out on some friends and see how they feel about it.

You may be right. :) Waiting for a lot of stuff to download can be unpleasant. And since you're already far along in this technique, maybe the thing to do is try it out on some friends and see how they feel about it.
Deirdre's Dad, Thank you again for your reply.Yeah, I did and I'm waiting for their replies, I just wanted to hear the experts opinion on the matter.Peace,Elemental

I think there are situations that warrant a new window. In most cases I would prefer to have the choice. However, in a situation like yours, Elemental, I think it would be better to have a new window. As you stated it would be annoying to have to navigate back and forth waiting for pages to load (granted that's what cache is for but there is still a small delay). With a window it's as simple as clicking the 'x' in the corner. :)

JKloth, Thank you for your input, also much appreciated.Yeah, I think that's the way I'm going with this one. One thing I'm learning, or have to keep remembering, is that it doesn't matter what I want to do because the end result may not be seen at all due to personal settings.Peace,Elemental

Archived