Can't Unwrap Nested Functions?

mjsulliv

I’m using a onchange method for a select element. When I code the function as a nested function:

function outerFunction(){  //  do something  selectElement.onchange = function() {  // innerFunction	   // do some more stuff  }}

it works.But if I change to what I consider a cleaner syntax (nested functions look strange to me):

function outerFunction(){	//  do something	selectElement.onchange = innerFunction();}function innerFunction(){	   // do some more stuff}

it only works the first time through the code. Any thoughts would be helpful.

When assigning a function to an event handler (or to a variable), you don't use parenthesis:

selectElement.onchange = innerFunction;

So this precludes passing parms?
In an event, there's only one parameter passed, you can receive it in the function. It's an event object with information about the event, like which element fired the event and what kind of event it is.I'm not sure what parameters you would want to pass to a function, usually everything you need is in the event object.

If you want to pass parameters then you do need to use an inline or anonymous function:

selectElement.onchange = function() { innerFunction(var1, var2, var3); }

If you did that, and still wanted access to the regular event object, you would need to manually get the event object and pass that to the function also. The only function with access to the event object is the event handler (the anonymous function in this case), so that function would need to get the event object and pass it along to the other function.

Archived