A Problem of Scope?

iwato

Please consider the following two blocks of independently run code and explain why the first block works and the second does not.BLOCK ONE

<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	echo $selectedCities[1];?>

BLOCK TWO

<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	function writeCities() {		   echo $selectedCities[1];	}	writeCities();?>

For the second block of code PHP responds with an error telling me that $selectedCities is undefined in the function writeCities().Roddy

Please consider the following two blocks of independently run code and explain why the first block works and the second does not.BLOCK ONE
<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	echo $selectedCities[1];?>

BLOCK TWO

<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	function writeCities() {		   echo $selectedCities[1];	}	writeCities();?>

For the second block of code PHP responds with an error telling me that $selectedCities is undefined in the function writeCities().Roddy

I would guess what you need to define the varible inside the function unless it's global so this would work couse I define it in the function:
<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	function writeCities($city) {		   echo $city;	}	writeCities($selectedCities[1]);?>

I would guess what you need to define the varible inside the function unless it's global so this would work couse I define it in the function.
Yes, your suggested modification worked.I am slowly learning that PHP is not ActionScript.Great job! Thanks.Roddy

You could have also just used the global keyword:

<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	function writeCities() {		   global $selectedCities; //This allows you to reference global variables		   echo $selectedCities[1];	}	writeCities();?>

You could also pass it to the function:

<?php	$selectedCountry = $_GET['countrylist'];	$selectedCities = $_GET['citylist'];	$numberOfSelectedCities = count($selectedCities);	function writeCities($list) {		   echo $list[1];	}	writeCities($selectedCities);?>

Archived