HTML 5

trinistorm

I was reading up on some of the tags and api information at W3C and html 5 seems really productive especially with the ability to predefine part of a url with the <base> tag. So does anyone have an idea of how willing Microsoft is willing to provide compatibility with their supposed browser of the future? By the way that Doom port on chrome is amazing.

All current IE versions have no support of HTML5, although the upcoming IE9 will have, although i dont think anyone knows what tags it will support.There a few javascript scripts out there that can 'force' IE8 and under to parse HTML5 elements correctly.Hope that helps :)

Not strictly true. I think no new HTML5 elements have been implemented, which might be all OP is wondering about. But many HTML5 attributes and properties have been implemented by the popular browsers, especially in the JavaScript API. I believe innerHTML would not have been picked up by non-IE browsers except that it has become part of the HTML5 Draft. Can you imagine not using innerHTML? :)In like fashion, other MSIE techniques have been incorporated into the standard, so IE was "technically" the first to get there.IE has always been most reluctant to embrace the new when they already have a technique and it is different from the one developed by the standards committee. Where they have no technique at all, their behavior has been mixed.Hasn't the <base> tag been around since Netscape 2 or something?

Well, <canvas> has been sorta-implemented in most browsers.

I never knew the <base> tag existed probably it isn't used much in the examples I read through, but it looks like whoever provides the most support is going to soak up a large market share because being able to draw with html would allow for some neat creativity.

The source of reluctance stems from the state of the HTML5 specification. It is still a draft. It is pretty complete, but there are big holes in it. Many things are still subject to change. If I were a browser maker, I would commit limited resources to technology that is still up in the air.

Archived