JavaScript 2.0 and IE 8

madsovenielsen

IE6, 7, and 8 all support Javascript 1.5, at least theoretically. I doubt Microsoft has made any announcement regarding Javascript 1.9.
Firefox 3.6 supports JavaScript 1.8 and Firefox 4.0 will support 1.9But when i use the buildt in script debugger in IE8 (F12) the const keyword is highlighted. I really hope this means that IE9 will support JavaScript 1.9/mads

With a gazillion people out there still using IE7, what difference could it make? :)Plus, last time Firefox made a whole-number upgrade (2.x to 3.0) the Mac version excluded a lot of older operating systems that are still installed. Maybe the next quantum upgrade will do the same. That would mean that the Firefox auto-upgrade pattern would not work for a lot of people.My point is, best not to get too excited about all the new technology.

const is a Mozilla-specific extension to Javascript 1.5:https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaS...tatements/constThe IE team may be adding const to IE9, or they may just be reserving it for future use. I really doubt they're going to implement all of Javascript 2 though. Most of the work in IE9 with regard to Javascript has been redoing the engine to make it faster, I don't think they've been focusing on adding features.

Archived