JS or CSS?

knystrom18

I want to eventually get the effect here: http://www.moffettpersonaltraining.com/staff.htmWhen you click on the trainer's names, the content below, and the link style changes, but the page does not reload.I have a feeling this could be achieved with CSS, but would take forever and not work right across major browsers.So, how can I do that with JS? I'm guessing onclick events with a combination of display properties in the css?Is there a specific name for this effect so I can research and implement it myself?Thanks- K

It's probably just AJAX. When you click on someone's name, the content and the person picture changes, most likely by changing the img src and the innerHTML. It's up to you where the information comes from though. Also, the class for the active navigation item changes too. So, in answer to your question, both. And then a way to get the info. Although I suppose technically it could all be stored within the Javascript function itself that changes the relevant content, so that when a specific ID is passed (say the trainers name) the function could use a switch case to fill in the appropriate picture and content. And I guess technically, technically, I could just look at their source code, but I already wrote out the possibilities so I'm pretty sure I already covered the way they're doing it by default, :)

Thanks for that. Yea, I peeked at their source code and it's all script and tables. They even linked the style sheet to the page by an @import in JS... :)AJAX and JS are both above me at the moment, so I'll develop another method. Thanks for your reply though.

like I said you don't even really have to use AJAX. All your text could be stored within the function. And the function itself wouldn't be that difficult. Literally they are changing the source of an image, and using innerHTML a few times in the right places. Plus the menu context changes, but that's pretty easy too.

• 3 weeks later...

CSS alone can't do it. Javascript alone could. If you have the content stored in a DB, then you could use AJAX.

Archived