List of all files on website

son

I try to get a list of all web pages in website via

if($dirHandle = opendir("http://www.site.co.uk/")) { while(false !== ($file = readdir($dirHandle))) { print($file."<br>"); } closedir($handle); }?

The web server seems to be configured so I cannot run this script (hosted website). Is there a different way to generate the list of all web pages?Son

You can't run opendir() on an absolute URL - think of the security risk! If you use a relative path (e.g. opendir("/")) you may have better results. You could also try using glob().

If you're trying to list the contents of a remote web server, you can't. Web servers don't have a way to just return a directory listing of files, they will only do that if you're requesting a directory that does not have a default document and the server is configured to output the directory listing in that case. If you can connect to the server through FTP, there's a way there to list files.

If you're trying to list the contents of a remote web server, you can't. Web servers don't have a way to just return a directory listing of files, they will only do that if you're requesting a directory that does not have a default document and the server is configured to output the directory listing in that case. If you can connect to the server through FTP, there's a way there to list files.
But how does it work then that Google for example can create a sitemap of a website in no time? Surely they are somehow accessing the files...Son

If you don't link to a file anywhere on your server, Google won't be able to find it. HTTP just doesn't include a method of getting a directory's contents (unlike, say, FTP).

• 3 weeks later...
If you don't link to a file anywhere on your server, Google won't be able to find it. HTTP just doesn't include a method of getting a directory's contents (unlike, say, FTP).
Now I got it, to interlink the pages is the key;-)Son

Archived