Writing my asp codes

steveaj

Please just as you all know, I am a newbie. I have been trying to write my first asp codes to view what I have inputed and to know areas where I will need to put more effort just like I did when I was studying html, javascrip and css. All my effort to view my first asp page was in vain.I want to quickly explain what I did that yielded no result. First, I went on the internet and look for iis manager which I was able to get and download from microsoft website. I installed the iss manager and then wrote my first asp code, I save it with .asp extension and I open my web browser (Microsoft Internet Explore 6) and on the address bar I typed http://localhost/myWeb/form.asp That was because the name of the file is form.asp and I first created a folder in the wwwroot folder and the folder is called myWeb. So when I tried the above method, it proved abortive, I still could not see my first asp page.The next thing I did was that I went and bought Win XP Professional cd (which is the os I have on my machine) I installed iis from windows component thinking I have done the utmost thing but still I couldn't view my first asp page. All I have been doing all this while was only to read and understand and I have been understanding everything I am reading from the asp tutorial but it's just to view the asp page that matters now and it's like I cannot move futher from here because of that problem. I wanted to continue studying other things like sql, ado but I still discovered that most sql codes are used in ado and ado isanother form of asp. As the files are still saved with the .asp extension I still have problem accessing it. Please somebody should help me out so that I can still continue in my chosen career. For more than a week ago, I have not studied anything new because of this problem. Please let somebody tell me the exact thhing I still need to do which has not been done. As for the asp tutorial which I studied, I have done all the tutorial said I should do but if there is anyone I failed to do correctly please let somebody help me out so that I can still continue in my studying.Thank you all in anticipation.Steve Jacobs

This may be a stupid question but.... it your IIS turned on and running? Also just make a test page with nothing else but <%Response.write("Hello World")%> and tell me how that goes.It maily sounds like more of a software problem than a coding error.

Alex, it may sound like a stupid question to you because you know it and you don't have problem with it but I don't know it, I am very sure that if i get over this problem I am not going to have any coding problem because I understood all I've read in the asp tutorial on this website and other websites. I tried to write the <%Response.write("Hello World")%> which you asked me to write and make sure all instructiion in the asp tutorial was followed but still it doesn't work. Please if there is any hint you will want me to know please help me.Steve