Database design for a "question of the day" type system

MrAdam

Hi All.I'm setting up a "question of the day" type system and would like some advice about the database design.Here's the current layout:

CREATE TABLE `question_settings` (  `question_id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,  `question_title` varchar(255) NOT NULL,  PRIMARY KEY (`question_id`),  UNIQUE KEY `question_title` (`question_title`));

CREATE TABLE `question_answers` (  `answer_id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,  `question_id` smallint(5) unsigned NOT NULL,  `answer_title` varchar(255) NOT NULL,  PRIMARY KEY (`answer_id`));

Think it's fairly self-explanatory, but is there a better way to do it? Whilst writing the queries to return the question and possible answers, using a join would require me to return the question for each answer. Or, I'd have to run two separate queries, 1 returning the question settings and the other to return all the answers.Seems to me there should be a better way of doing it.Thanks for any help..

Those are the two ways of doing it. If you're displaying more than one question, it may make more sense to use a join. If you're displaying a single question, it's probably faster to do the two queries.

Archived