Credit cards? How do you use them for payment on the web?

migroo

I am building a website where people can make purchases and I want to know how do you make it so they can pay with credit cards?I have not done much with money on the web so I really have no idea where to start for this one. As far as I know w3schools doesn't have anything on the subject... I think I have read all there tutorials.So if some one could point me in the wright direction I would be very happy.

Easiest way: get them to use Paypal.Second easiest way: sign up with a third-party payment gateway.Very hard way: program your own site to communicate directly with the credit card providers (and get ready for regulatory ###### :)).

Awe so that is why w3schools doesn't have much on it. So what would some examples of good third-party payment gateways be?

I would stay away from PayPal for any serious ecommerce, based on the horror stories I've heard (and my own personal experience, which was not good). I'd recommend using a company like Authorize.net or possibly 2checkout.com. I've used Authorize.net for years and have been pretty satisfied with them overall. Their user interface is good and their payment API is very mature with lost of options.

I am building a website where people can make purchases and I want to know how do you make it so they can pay with credit cards?I have not done much with money on the web so I really have no idea where to start for this one. As far as I know w3schools doesn't have anything on the subject... I think I have read all there tutorials.So if some one could point me in the wright direction I would be very happy.

Thank you. This website would be dealing will a lot of money so paypal would be bad because they take 3.2% of every purchase. I am going to look into those sites I definitely don't want to deal with the actual credit card company.Thanks again.

Thank you. This website would be dealing will a lot of money so paypal would be bad because they take 3.2% of every purchase.
That's the least of your worries. PayPal has a bad habit of seizing and freezing accounts for no reason, or no reason that they'll bother to tell you about. Even if you manage to convince them to give you your money back, it may take months. Have a look at this and see for yourself: PayPal Sucks. I myself have had a couple of completely obnoxious experiences with them, and I almost never use them anymore except for minor purchases.

You could look into shopify.com.You might also want to check with your hosting company, they may have a payment solution in place.PCI compliance is vital. https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/A final option is to use fax or phone orders only. I know it may sound primitive, but I just purchased 27 yards of shockcord from a company that asks you to call or fax your order. You can leave a message on their answering machine, too. I've worked with the company before, so I trust them, and my tent poles are all fixed. If you're selling a quality product, people will buy it.

Well I am going to have to read about paypal a little more... and send a link to my boss. The site I am looking at will be dealing will a few million dollars I don't know that paypal is the best way to go. I will check my hoasting company I go through Hostgator (best hosting I have ever had)Thank you all for the tips.

Archived