count / limit

astralaaron

Hi, i posted here: this topic about limiting 3 results from each different user who has products. I got it working, using 'UNION ALL' to join together the separate queries, limiting each one to 3.Now the problem that i am facing is i need to also return the total number of rows to display a "3 out of 10 products" type of thing. I would like to make it happen in the same query if possible. Or is it impossible?The query is along these lines:

(SELECT `tablea`.`field1`, `tablea`.`field2` FROM `tablea` WHERE `tablea`.`id`=1 LIMIT 0,3) UNION ALL (SELECT `tablea`.`field1`, `tablea`.`field2` FROM `tablea` WHERE `tablea`.`id`=2 LIMIT 0,3)

I need a count in there (EDIT: "in each select") which counts ALL not only the 3 from the LIMIT, can it be done?

Couldn't you just add a count field in the field list? Have you tried that?
Well, i added 'count(*) as num'. And you are right it does count the total number. But only for the first set of them, and it retrieves 1 product from each user after adding that..Do you have any idea whats happening?

i kind of see where there is a problem.. when there is 2 users, it UNION ALL's together 2 queries.. with 2 count functions. each of those queries returns a set of 3 results without the count function. but only 1 when it does the count. the count needs to be added to each result somehow

Archived