I have a validator.w3.org problem

securobo2

I am a little confused about an error message at validator.w3.org

Sorry, I am unable to validate this document because on line 41 it contained one or more bytes that I cannot interpret as utf-8 (in other words, the bytes found are not valid values in the specified Character Encoding). Please check both the content of the file and the character encoding indication. The error was: utf8 "\xA9" does not map to Unicode

I know the error is because I use a copyright symbol on the page -> ©. What is confusing is that I thought utf-8 takes care of the western character set. could someone please give me an explanation on what my basic setup should be for covering The United States. I used the xhtml 1.0 documentation at w3.org and followed the document conformance example in the docs. I have a DOCTYPE, I have an xml representation and I filled in the xmlns data as noted in the docs. Is this as simple as changing the encoding? I don't want to try that until someone verifies for me that I should have no other considerations. Also, if so, what encoding should I use.

The copyright symbol in the UTF-8 encoding is a multibyte character.You should make sure that your HTML editor is saving the files with UTF-8 encoding.

Archived