String won't hash

Utherr12

$username = strtolower($_POST["Username"]);$mail = strtolower($_POST["Mail"]);$username_array = mysql_query("SELECT `name` FROM `test_table` WHERE `name` = '$username';",$phpDB);$mail_array = mysql_query("SELECT `mail` FROM `test_table` WHERE `mail` = '$mail';",$phpDB);	$username_db = mysql_result($username_array,0);$mail_db = mysql_result($mail_array,0);if (($username==$username_db)&&($mail==$mail_db))	{	$get_Umessages_array = mysql_query("SELECT `id` from `messages` WHERE `read` = '0' AND `to` = '$username';",$phpDB);		$unread_msg = mysql_result($get_Umessages_array,0);		$i = 0;		if ($unread_msg=="") //get number ofundread messages			{ $num_msg = 0;}			else { while($unread_msg!="")					{$i += 1;					$num_msg += 1;					$unread_msg = mysql_result($get_Umessages_array,$i);}				}		$hash_pw_db_array = mysql_query("SELECT from `pw_hash` WHERE `name` = '$username';",$phpDB);		$hash_pw_db = mysql_result($hash_pw_db_array,0);		$pass = $_POST["pass_log"];		$pass_hash = hash('md5',$pass,false);						if($hash_pw_db==$pass_hash) //check password		{			echo "some very long html code"			}										else {echo "Password is incorrect.<br />";				// debug				echo $hash_pw_db."<br />";				echo $pass."<br />";				echo $pass_hash;							}		}			//		else {echo "<p style=\"font-family:Tahoma;font-size:medium\">Wrong Username or E-mail!</p>";}

No matter what i type the password is incorrect because $pass_hash is "" nothing, and i don't know what i'm doing wrong because i've used this function earlier and it worked. SO the problem is that $pass_hash contains nothing and i dont know why...

For a temporary test, try var_dump($_POST) just to make sure your form is passing along the data it's supposed to, and that the indexes are what you think they are.Using isset($_POST["pass_log"]) or !empty($_POST["pass_log"]) is also good practice before you try accessing that data.Have you tested the $hash function by passing it a hard-coded string? Are you sure $hash is available on your system? It requires a comparatively new version of PHP that some hosts may not have installed.

It's passing the data because i used that debug thing and every variable there has the correct value $pass contains the string i entered in the form and $hash_pw_db contains the value in my sql db from the respective user name. The only variable that has nothing in it is $pass_hash. So i answered all your "questions"; the hash function works because i have it in db and the post variables are correct.BTW i changed the code a bit, i removed the email req in login page and replaced it with the password field and ReqI uploaded it here: http://pastebin.ca/1957568

The hash function returns false if there was a problem and issues a warning. You can use var_dump on $pass_hash to determine if it is an empty string or boolean false. It may also be a good idea to make sure error messages are enabled:ini_set('display_errors', 1);error_reporting(E_ALL);

Warning: mysql_result(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for '3.0/DST' instead in D:\webserver\messaging.php on line 23 Warning: mysql_result(): Unable to jump to row 0 on MySQL result index 5 in D:\webserver\messaging.php on line 23 line 23 is: "$unread_msg = mysql_result($get_Umessages_array,0);"Warning: mysql_result(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for '3.0/DST' instead in D:\webserver\messaging.php on line 33 Warning: mysql_result() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in D:\webserver\messaging.php on line 33 line 33 is: $hash_pw_db = mysql_result($hash_pw_db_array,0);Warning: main(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/Helsinki' for '3.0/DST' instead in D:\webserver\messaging.php on line 36I had some errors in my SQL query sintax, i'm fixing them right now...LE: yes, now it works, the sql query was wrongly written. But how do i get rid of the "not safe to rely on..." warning message?

Set the timezone like so ini_set('date.timezone','Europe/Helsinki'); in the beginning of the script.Another option would be to use .htaccess and set it like so:php_value date.timezone 'Europe/Helsinki'Or set it in /etc/php.inidate.timezone = 'Europe/Helsinki'http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.changes.php

Archived