Advice on designing a database?

toxicityj

Long story short I've got a client that wants a database consisting of the following:100 years of population data for ~200 different countries and regions. The population data is broken into 5 year increments, so I'd have population data for 90, 95, 00, 05, etc.What would be the best way to organize my database? I was thinking different tables for each of the years, but then I realized maybe a different table for each country consisting of all the data related to it would be better.I'm still very new to working with databases as the only experience I have is setting up databases for CMS's, small projects, etc. and a college-level course on using Microsoft Access. Both of which haven't been very useful in figuring out a good format for my database.Any help is appreciated, thanks!

It depends how you're going to be using the data, but it may be best to have one table list the regions, with an ID, and another table to list the region ID, the year, and the population.
That could work really well actually. With the added bonus that the data they sent me lists all the country codes, so unless those repeat I can use them as the IDs.

Archived