HTML (3.2 and 4), XHTML and CSS?

eduard

Is this right? To design a website supported by all browsers: I have to learn HTML (3.2 and 4), XHTML and CSS? But I want a website in 3 weeks on the web!

Fire up Microsoft Publisher then, but expect the site to only work fine in IE (it will work in other browsers too, but with some flaws), and don't expect to learn anything from it, since the code it produces is total crap.Ready for that sacrifice? No? HTML 4 and CSS then. Now! Quick! And fire up "Dreamwaver" or "Expression Web" too (in code view)! "FrontPage" I hear you asking? No! Trash it, smash it, delete it, burn it, but don't use it! It's just as bad of an option as Publisher.Off you go now...[[Read after 3 weeks]]Done with the deadline? OK. If you've learned HTML 4 well, you'll have little to no trouble migrating to XHTML. It's just a stricter version of HTML. If you've followed up all rules until now, and fixed all errors even when the page appeared to display fine, you'll feel right at home with XHTML. Just read the tutorial, and you'll see that for yourself. There's a little more to be told about XHTML, but that's a story for a later time.

newer versions of the same language just mean improvements on the draft, but essentially you should learn how to write proper code using HTML 4.01 and how to style your markup with CSS.

IE6 is the oldest browser that you'll ever have to seriously make allowances for, and it understands HTML4.01. Many things in 3.2 were removed or changed for 4.01, so it is actually dangerous to study any books that cover 3.2 only.Want a fast website? Check out some free templates.Want a fast website that you can actually understand? Start with the basics.Use DreamWeaver if you must, but do not use the drag-and-drop method of construction. You will have a hard time understanding the HTML it produces.

Archived