"," not working.

sepoto

Sorry guys. To me this code couldn't be more cut and dry yet the comma is NEVER found! What do I do in a situation like this? EasyPHP on Windows7.<?php$fh = fopen("guestbook.txt",'r');$book = fread($fh,filesize("guestbook.txt"));fclose($fh);$cnt = strlen($book); for($int =0; $int<$cnt; ++$int) { if($book[$int]==',') echo ","; }?>Thanks!

Basic debugging, just print everything out. Print out $book to verify it is what you think it is, print $cnt, print $book[$int], etc. If $book[$cnt] was a comma, it would output a comma, right? So, if it doesn't output a comma, then $book[$int] is never a comma, because if it were, then it would print. So, print out the values of everything to verify they are what you think they are.

Basic debugging, just print everything out. Print out $book to verify it is what you think it is, print $cnt, print $book[$int], etc. If $book[$cnt] was a comma, it would output a comma, right? So, if it doesn't output a comma, then $book[$int] is never a comma, because if it were, then it would print. So, print out the values of everything to verify they are what you think they are.
Thanks for the reply but that just isn't it. I did echo the string and clearly it contains a number of commas. I believe this to be a character encoding issue but I have not identified the problem just yet.

Thanks for the reply but that just isn't it. I did echo the string and clearly it contains a number of commas. I believe this to be a character encoding issue but I have not identified the problem just yet.
you should follow through on JSG advice however, add echo out each interation of the loop, to verify what each character being checked is...
<?php$fh = fopen("guestbook.txt",'r');$book = fread($fh,filesize("guestbook.txt"));fclose($fh);$cnt = strlen($book);echo $book;echo $count;for($int =0; $int<$cnt; ++$int){  echo $book[int];  if($book[$int]==',')	echo ",";};?>

It may be better to output something other than a comma:

<?php$fh = fopen("guestbook.txt",'r');$book = fread($fh,filesize("guestbook.txt"));fclose($fh);$cnt = strlen($book);echo $book;echo $cnt;for($int =0; $int<$cnt; ++$int){  echo $book[$int];  if($book[$int]==',')	echo "COMMA";};?>

It may be better to output something other than a comma:
<?php$fh = fopen("guestbook.txt",'r');$book = fread($fh,filesize("guestbook.txt"));fclose($fh);$cnt = strlen($book);echo $book;echo $cnt;for($int =0; $int<$cnt; ++$int){  echo $book[$int];  if($book[$int]==',')	echo "COMMA";};?>

ah yes, I see that benefit now

Archived