Jobs in XML

sandeman

So, I have plunged into XML, XSLT, XPATH, XLINK, XML-SCHEMA, XFORMS and XMHTML.Here goes:Is there a possibility for a career using these? Am I wasting my time? I want to know all of the intricacies regarding the languages, but I am wondering if I should not devote my time to learning JAVA or somethign like it.I know a lot of people say that I should learn Perl, Java, VB, C++, XML. HTML and CSS and others, but hey! I only have a limited amount of time LOL!Any advice on a career using XML?Sincerely,Jason Sandeman

You will not find a career only using XML. XML on it's own doesn't do much.There are geneally 4 paths you can take as a web designer/programmer.You can go with windows technologies (ASP/ASp.net, SQL Server)You can go open source (Php, MySql)You can go Sun (JSP,MySQl, oracle)Or you can go desktop only (C++, .Net, JAVA)I would recommend either ASP.Net/SQL Server or PHP/MySql and learn XHTML, CSS, JavaSCript and XML and you should be set for life :)

Our good friend aspnetguy left out my favorite, Cold Fusion.:)In any respect, he's absolutely correct. This day in age you will be very limited if you focus on one specific aspect of internet technologies - specific being XML. A general focus, as aspnetguy points out, is more appropriate - general being server side scripting language (asp, php, cold fusion) or database management (mysql, oracle, ms sql). Within each of those you might have a specialty or end up with more experience in one or the other.For instance, I am Cold Fusion programmer. But I am very knowledgable in HTML, XML, CSS, Javascript - with respect to programming. But I am also very knowledgable in MySQL and MS SQL but have experience with MS Access and Oracle.XML is a little to narrow - you'll have to decide if you XML focus will be client site or server side based (XSLT va asp, php, cold fusion reseptively) OR if you decide to learn XML respective to its work with database systems, like the new release of MS SQL.

Considering the inconviniences that XSLT has over the plain XHTML, it's true that you need some server side language to... support it. XML based technologies are great, but the world is not entirely ready for them yet. By the time when IE10 comes out, they will be on their half way I think. So for any professional carrer, XML technologies are sure to come in handy for a large variety of purposes, but alone they are not much... yet.

Okay, so here is where I am going with this:I presently work in the Hospitality industry as a Chef. Cooking/administration skills aside, one thing that I noticed is the lack of coherent software in this industry.I am interested in things like:Recipe databasesInventory DatabasesIngredient controlpayroll schedulingWebsite design for restaurants - that are interactiveDeveloping front end applications that are easy for the home user to use.So, I am at a crossroads in my life... I am sick of working on the cooking line, and I would like to switch careers, but I am too passionate about food to just go into "hardcore programming" and develop something that calculates the atomic weight of a chemical.So, with these things in mind... do you have a suggestion as to the direction that I am headed in?I do have some skill in HTML, and I am building my skill in XML as we speak. (I am reading three great books.... Beginning XML (By Wrox I think), XSLT 2.0 programmers reference, xpath 2.0 programmers reference.I am not scared to learn new technology, what I am scared of is wasting my time... I work more than full time now, and my time is limited...Any suggestions?Sandeman