header warning

abdelelbouhy

hello guysi'm trying to set header('content-disposition:attachment;filename='.$file); and i placed the code even before the html tag but i got this errorWarning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\xampp\htdocs\test.php:2) in C:\xampp\htdocs\test.php on line 3but that only happend when i run it on apache if i run it in iis it worksplease help

If it's on line 3 this means that there's something on lines 1 and 2... if there's ANYTHING, even whitespace or a new line, before "<?php", then you're going to have this error. The very first characters in your PHP file need to be "<?php", and no "echo" and the like must occur before the headers are sent.The reason it works on IIS is that IIS delays output (which is a bad thing in many scenarios, though evidently, it does good in this one). Therefore, the header can be set, since the output hasn't started yet.

If it's on line 3 this means that there's something on lines 1 and 2... if there's ANYTHING, even whitespace or a new line, before "<?php", then you're going to have this error. The very first characters in your PHP file need to be "<?php", and no "echo" and the like must occur before the headers are sent.The reason it works on IIS is that IIS delays output (which is a bad thing in many scenarios, though evidently, it does good in this one). Therefore, the header can be set, since the output hasn't started yet.
you were right i put it before the <doctype>tag and it works but shouldn't be enough to place it before <html> tagthanx

you were right i put it before the <doctype>tag and it works but shouldn't be enough to place it before <html> tag
PHP doesn't know or care what a doctype or html tag is, or any other tag. It's all output to PHP. The rule is simple: anything outside of PHP tags is output that goes straight to the browser. PHP doesn't look at the output, it just sends it.

Archived