html5 browser compatibilty

birbal

is the html5 is compatible with all browser? even mobile browsers?

The short answer is no.At the moment, a few browsers have implemented the featured that interested them, but there isn't much support in general. Even if new browsers support some features, a whole lot of users are still using older browsers.

It really depends on what aspects of HTML5 you're talking about. All of HTML5? No, support for that won't happen for a while.Webkit has been supporting certain HTML5 features (new input types and attributes for example) for almost a year now I think. Firefox 4 will be adding support for certain features of HTML5, and I figure IE9 will as well.It will take a long time before every HTML5 feature is supported though.You can start using the new semantic elements, that don't have any particular behavior, right now: header, footer, article, section, article, aside, figure, nav, time, etc.You can also start using the new input types that would generate a text box if html5 were supported, such as "search", "url", etc.Unfortunately, IE8 and below don't allow the creation of what they deem to be non-existent elements in the markup. If you use any html5 elements, you're going to have to use the html5 shiv. It's very simple. At some point someone discovered that IE allowed the creation of "non-existent" elements in the markup as long as an abstract element with the same name was created before the DOM was loaded. It is as simple as this: "document.createElement('article');" - that allows the use of the <article> element.HTML5 Doctor (http://html5doctor.com/) is a good website if you're curious about using html5 for the first time. Articles that will help get you started: http://html5doctor.com/article-archive/

Check out this article. I use certain HTML5 elements already. The one I use most frequently is the email input element.

<input type="email" />

I don't take away JS and PHP validation, but I'm just trying to prepare my site to make the most of HTML5 supporting browsers.

actally i was looking for html5 yesterday after reading your post in somewhere in this forum. (i was readin about canvas..and it seems me interesting.)@fmpdaso when i was checking it first comes in my mind about it compatiblity...now i think as it is not compatible with all of the browsers..better i give time behind it later..(as i am interested to be comptaible with mobile browsers also.)..i guess it will be good for me to stick with html4 for nowthank you dialated inglome and fmpda .and thanks for the link too.@fmpda

I don't know if the <canvas> element is being used much for practical things yet, but if you do a search for "html5 canvas experiments" you'll get dozens of impressive results.

deviantART.com has used the canvas element to make an entire painting application online. They've named it deviantART Muro. It was funny when people were complaining that they weren't supporting Internet Explorer.

Archived