Insert vertical line above a letter

son

I have to have some characters with a horizontal line below and to have a vertical line (or two vertical lines) above a character to indicate pronounciation. The web page is for a choir. I have no issues wrapping up a letter with <u></ul> to have a horizontal line below, but am totally lost as in how I get one or two vertical lines above a letter... Does anyone have experience with this?Son

My immediate thought would be to use <span> tags to add the lines using borders. A single span would suffice for a single line, two nested spans for the double line. You could also use text-decoration:overline to create a single line. Here's the School's page on text decoration: http://www.w3schools.com/Css/pr_text_text-decoration.asp
Lastlifelost,Thanks for your input. But what I need is really a vertical line as opposed to a horizontal line... Do you know any other way to creating bg images?Son

The simplest way is probably going to be using background images. You can download GIMP for free to create those images.The span idea might work, but it's going to create a lot of extra markup and may not look quite right across all browsers. To use the span idea you'll have to have a relatively positioned container with the span and text. The span would have to be absolutely positioned and have a left and/or right border (depending on whether you need one line or two). This is a convoluted solution and I don't recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Archived