Gathering Emails

knystrom18

Is it illegal to go onto publically available websites and copy/paste emails from those websites into a mailing list subscription list? They will have the option to unsubscribe once they get the first email.

It depends on the country. I believe the US CAN-SPAM act prevents that. In order to send someone a mail they have to opt in first, or you have to have a client relationship with them. Just having their email address available online is not considered opting in to any random advertiser who wants to advertise to them.

Is it illegal to go onto publically available websites and copy/paste emails from those websites into a mailing list subscription list? They will have the option to unsubscribe once they get the first email.
This is exactly the reason I never make my email publicly available....:)

It depends on the country. I believe the US CAN-SPAM act prevents that. In order to send someone a mail they have to opt in first, or you have to have a client relationship with them. Just having their email address available online is not considered opting in to any random advertiser who wants to advertise to them.
Alright. Good to know before anything was sent. My client is just "super hyped" to get some emails out and he started mass copy/pasting emails into word docs and sending them to me. I'll have to break it to him gently.

I don't think most people would appreciate that. Anyhow, it is likely that many emails posted publicly are just spam accounts that are ignored by the user. I've wondered why so many people share their emails openly on php.net...

Archived