3 Thousand queries / min

Utherr12

Is 3000 queries per minute too much for a mysql database? The tables are in MyIsam, and I'm hosting my own database on linux ubuntu 10.04, it's hosted on my pc which i frequently use for different activities.So are 3000 queries too much for me? (brief pc specs: intel dual core @ 3ghz, 4GB ddr2, 16mb buffer 7,2k rpm hdd samsung).And related to this question, how many queries per minute does a serious sql database usually handle?

I was wondering how huge web sites like facebook uses databases and storage disks. It's normaly that it uses many servers.So is there, example: profile database and table on one server, and like statuses on other server, or maybe example: 1-200 000 Id's using one server for everything, 200 001-400 000 using other server and so on.So does it uses by tables, or by ID numbers?Also, regarding to this topic, if u see that your server can't work fine, u should add one server more.

Facebook in particular I've heared that it doesn't use foreign keys, because the delay of a milisecond is too much for them... they use cron jobs to keep separate copies and do cleanups instead.For non mission critical sites like Facebook, that's acceptable, since (for example) it isn't all that important if you'll keep friends with someone for a few mintues more or less.They also compile their PHP with their own compiler to further improve performance. And of course, they use multiple powerful servers, which, like I said, keep separate copies of the database for the sake of both efficiency and fallback.

So excuse me if I'm wrong. But let's say I'm viewing my photos now. It data are not on main server, it copy pictures from backup, and after some time it deletes it?

There are several "main" servers, so I'm not sure I see what you mean... I guess it's possible that a photo you deleted suddenly came back for a few seconds (minutes at worst), and then got deleted again, if that's what you mean... I suppose they've made their timings in a way that would minimize the possibility of that scenario.

Archived