validating a form

manick

Hi all,I have the following in the head: function chkName(billFamilyName){ if (billFamilyName.value=="") { alert("Please write your name") billFamilyName.focus() }}and this in the body: <td><input type="text" onblur="chkName(this)" name="billFamilyName" maxlength="30"></td>but it is returning an object expected on the onblur, can someone give me an idea as to what I have done wrong, I am assuming it's something to do with whats in the () but am not sure. Any help appreciated.Tanick

*editi'm getting strange errors with this code :)Just put a button on the page that checks all the fields when the user submits the form, otherwise these alerts can get annoying

The code you pasted earlier worked ok for me, i never received any errors.The only thing that bugged me was if i left the textbox blank and tried to move of the page i kept getting the alert, which was annoying :)

This is the code i am using that works ok, try it and let me know what happens.

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function chkName(billFamilyName){if (billFamilyName.value=="") {alert("Please write your name")billFamilyName.focus()}}</script></head><body><form><input type="text" onblur="chkName(this)" name="billFamilyName" maxlength="30"></form></body></html> 

Hi Scott,I managed to get my original code working by taking out a link to an external script. The problem I can't get my head around is using a mix of external scripts and functions in the header, If I have a link to an external script in the script tag in the head, the functions in the head when called return an "object expected" error. Thanks mateyNick