save form to external file

me16_17

sorry for spamming this, didnt know where to ask so i posted in 3 different placesMy client wants a form for employees to enter hours for billining purposesI want the form to save what the employee enters into an external file depending on which employee is submitting information so that my client can have a link for each employee to the file containing each employee's hoursany help? lolalso, i dont even know if its possible, is it posible for form submission to be added to an excell file? so the client can view the submitted info in excell?

only post one topic..someone will answer eventually..or the mods will move it if in the wrong place.anywayyou might be able to do this with a database.but, you dont say, is the form contents been emailed to someone or just saved on the web?i dnt know how MySQL databases work, but, if you can, then you set up a page where you can view the database results on a webpage, and download those results as an excell file.thats just an idea, if theres something thats alot simpler, then someone will hopefully point that out to you. So dont go with my idea just yet :) :):)

To save anything you will have to use a server side language and either a text file or a db.i would recommend php with a mysql table. :)not sure about the excel bit though, you could always select all an paste :)

If you want to keep it really basic, try using vbscript in the page to add to a ".csv" file (basic file input output using read and write commands).You could then get the employee to login and store their name in a variable that gets written to the file as their data is submitted.csv files open in excel and your client could even look at reporting this data with a pivottable (Excel equivalent of OLAP) assuming that the useful data is numeric. This would be a much smaller scale solution than using MySQL though and I wouldn't recommend it if there is going to be a large amount of data (say more than 50MB) or if there needs to be a lot of security on the information, but in terms of understanding simple data exchange it's a good place to start.Dooberry