Quick Question...

RobberBaron

In jQuery, since the dollar references a function that creates a new jQuery object:

$ = function(a,b){return new jQuery.fn.init(a,b); //something like that};

Then how come it can be used as a table:

$.post({blah});

Basically, I would like the ability to recreate this, for I am making a JavaScript library and the $ also creates a new library object.

You don't read about this a lot in tutorials, but like every other data structure in JavaScript, a function is an object. This means that it can be assigned properties and even additional methods simply by using dot notation. Here's a trivial example

$ = function() {   alert("Hello");}$.bob = 2;$.add = function (x) {   alert(this.bob + x);};alert ($.add(2) );

You don't read about this a lot in tutorials, but like every other data structure in JavaScript, a function is an object. This means that it can be assigned properties and even additional methods simply by using dot notation.
...and that is what I absolutely love about JavaScript. Creating, manipulating, and passing objects is so easy, especially with the help of JSON.

Thanks. So if in the function I assign values, I can call them from the function object. Just what I needed :)EDIT: Hold on, I'm getting a problem. Would this not work (example):

$ = function() {   alert("Hello");   this.bob = 2;}$.add = function (x) {   alert(this.bob + x);};alert ($.add(2) );

Negative. It's a matter of scope. this always refers to a property's parent. The $ function/method is technically a property/child of the window object. Calling $() and window.$() are equivalent, so this refers to window, and window.bob is undefined. The add method is a property of $, so this refers to $.

I should have mentioned that there is a way to do what you want. Consider:

$ = function() {   alert(arguments.callee.bob); // this is the trick};$.bob = 2;$.add = function (x) {   return this.bob + x;};$(); // alerts 2alert ($.add(2) ); // alerts 4

Archived