Creating a custom search input

mboehler3

Hi, I have a search bar on my website and I want to customize how the "GO" button looks. I want to have a tiny magnifying glass as the "GO" button, and I want it to float right inside of the search box. Very much like this: custom-search.gifHow can I accomplish this? Is it as easy as customizing the <input type="image"> field?

I'd put both the text input and the submit button into one container, use CSS to remove borders and background from the input and the button and then put a background image on the submit button.Also using CSS to give the button and the input appropriate widths and heights.

I'd put both the text input and the submit button into one container, use CSS to remove borders and background from the input and the button and then put a background image on the submit button.Also using CSS to give the button and the input appropriate widths and heights.
Why use a button? An image input works the same and you won't have to remove any borders or backgrounds from it.

Why use a button? An image input works the same and you won't have to remove any borders or backgrounds from it.
I just prefer using submit buttons because you don't have to include the image URL in your HTML (for if you want to change this button in a lot of files) and I don't like the extra input.x and input.y that are added onto the query string when the form is submitted.

I just prefer using submit buttons because you don't have to include the image URL in your HTML (for if you want to change this button in a lot of files) and I don't like the extra input.x and input.y that are added onto the query string when the form is submitted.
It would also be semantically correct, wouldn't it?

I guess, though I don't think it makes much of a difference. They're both input elements and their intention is to submit the form. The image input simply submits the coordinates of the part of the image that you clicked on along with the rest of the form data. Using image type inputs was what they had to do to customize their buttons before CSS existed so I take it as an outdated practise.

I just prefer using submit buttons because you don't have to include the image URL in your HTML (for if you want to change this button in a lot of files)...
Ah. Yeah, I suppose that would make sense. Maintainability....
Using image type inputs was what they had to do to customize their buttons before CSS existed so I take it as an outdated practise.
Hmm...never thought of that.

Archived