Buying a parked domain

Fmdpa

I have been working through the very difficult process of choosing a domain name. I thought of a good one, but it is parked by godaddy. I'm not going to say which one it is (:)), but how do I go about buying the domain name? It isn't something you pick off the store shelf, so how do you prove you own it? Do you have to park it with a particular host? It looks like GoDaddy wants to rent it to me, but I would prefer a once and done deal. Any tips on this would be greatly appreciated.

It's not possible to buy domain names for perpetuity - you can only rent them.If a domain is "parked", then someone is renting it for the sole purpose of holding on to it. If you want it, you then have to get it off them, usually for an increased fee.

Ok, yeah, it is normally something like 5 bucks/month. But with this particular domain name it is about $70 + commission. I would feel stupid paying money just for a certain combination of letters leading to my website... :)

Well, the domain is parked by them so they can charge more - they probably feel it's particularly in demand, memorable, or similar.P.S. domain names are usually more around $10/year.

I finally found a good one, and I'm hoping it is not discovered by DNS services. :) There are SO many domain names that are just being squatted on. It's crazy! Have you heard anything about the new ".ng" domain name extension? It will make provisions for many very creative domain names.

Lots of parked domains come from people not renewing their lease on the domain name, and the registrars just hold on to it in the hope it will sell. P.S. just because the domain doesn't resolve doesn't mean it's not held by anyone – you have to check the whois information to be sure.

Archived