Can one select certain text in a text control?

Guest PocketLnt

Guest PocketLnt

I'm looking for a way to programatically select certain text in a text control. In another words, I want to take a text control from a form and call a function which will give focus to that control and set an arbitrary number of characters to highlighted.Right now the select() method of the element is the closet thing I have found to accomplish this task, but it apparently only selects the entire text in the control. So what does everyone think, is this possible?

I'm looking for a way to programatically select certain text in a text control. In another words, I want to take a text control from a form and call a function which will give focus to that control and set an arbitrary number of characters to highlighted.Right now the select() method of the element is the closet thing I have found to accomplish this task, but it apparently only selects the entire text in the control. So what does everyone think, is this possible?

have you tried to google, parse text?

With this one You can get selected text from everywhere, should work with all browsers:

function getSelected(){var s = '';if (window.getSelection)        // Foxy + other lizards{s = window.getSelection();}else if (document.getSelection) // Opera{s = document.getSelection();}else if (document.selection)    // MSIE{s = document.selection.createRange().text;}return s;}

edit:sorry, You are selecting text out there, not getting selected text.I'd read Your post somehow wrong, but anyway You can get selected text asI mentioned. :)edit2:Look this:http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/DOM:Selection