Should I?

Krewe

Alright so I am currently learning Javascript.I have MySQL and PHP on my list to learn as well.My dilemma right now is, should I learn XHTML and XML?If so/If Not why? What are the benefits of learning them, what could they add to my sites?Thanks Guys.~Krewe

well, if you know HTML, you've or less learned 99% of HTML. XML is good to know, especially when dealing with 3rd party API's that might return their data that way. Practicing being able to access nodes and elements in the XML DOM is a good skill to have.

XHTML will add nothing you don't already have. It is also being phased out. HTML5 will be the new standard.XML has traditionally been used to store data as an alternative to databases. As thescientist points out, many providers now use it as a structure for communicating data. A good example is RSS feeds, which is something a lot of sites are getting into. The basic structure of XML is really quite simple to understand. Learning the DOM methods to actually extract data will take a little time and practice. Fortunately, they are a lot like the methods that JavaScript uses to access data in the HTML DOM, so learning them in one context helps learn them in the other.

Fortunately, they are a lot like the methods that JavaScript uses to access data in the HTML DOM, so learning them in one context helps learn them in the other.
Thanks for the reply both of you.Deirdre,When you say they are the same do you mean like this,Window.open...orDocument.write()Stuff like that?Thanks Guys,~krewe

Archived