MySQL or SQL?

eduard

... MySQL and SQL are very different. SQL is the language that you use to interact with databases, while MySQL is a database management system - a piece of software that manages the underlying data in the database, and that you can query using SQL.

... MySQL and SQL are very different. SQL is the language that you use to interact with databases, while MySQL is a database management system - a piece of software that manages the underlying data in the database, and that you can query using SQL.
But to design a database I need them both?

To design a database system you just need some paper. But if you want to implement the database you have designed, you need a database management system, such as SQL Server, Oracle, or MySQL. To control these database systems, you then can use SQL.

Oracle -> Used in enterprise businesses, like banks.MSSQL -> Used in game databases like CABAL, Knight, SRO etc.MySQL -> Used in website systems.Oracle and MSSQL are not open source, while MySQL is open source.For a website, the best database system is MySQL.

Oracle -> Used in enterprise businesses, like banks.MSSQL -> Used in game databases like CABAL, Knight, SRO etc.MySQL -> Used in website systems.Oracle and MSSQL are not open source, while MySQL is open source.For a website, the best database system is MySQL.
Thanks!I want to use my knowledge to find work (see my website: www.eduardlid.com). I am going to make an extra link called: ´portfolio´ In this ´portfolio´ I make a database. So the best is to learn MySQL?

You need to learn SQL. You can then use your SQL with the MySQL database system. There are some differences in the dialects of SQL understood by the various database systems, but the principle is the same.P.S.: many websites using Microsoft technologies, such as ASP.NET, will use SQL server (MS SQL).

I guess there's no problem to use MySQL for banks, or games, instead of Oracle and MSSQL.

in other words, SQL is the syntax/language for making queries to a database. MySQL is an application/interface for the database, which as Synook mentioned, will let you execute SQL commands on said database. Also, PHP has support for interacting with a database using SQL, as shown in the tutorials.

as far i am aware oracle can give backend as well as frontend where as other as sql server or mysql need another frontend language to work with it.

Oracle, the software ecosystem, provides many tools for both database management and application development. However, the Oracle database system itself is, well, just a database.

If I remember correctly, your server is a Mac. So MySql is probably built in. Just use it. PHP provides a library of mysql functions that let you access your mysql database. SQL statements are just strings. You pass SQL statements to the mysql functions. Learning SQL for mysql will help you understand SQL well enough that if you ever have to work with a different database, you will be able to adapt to the differences very quickly.Have you experimented with the SQL Try-it tutorials at W3Schools? You can get a very basic, but strong understanding just by executing different kinds of SQL statements with the practice database there.

Archived