Solutions for non-Javascript browsers

Mark H

Hi all,What solutions would people recommend in order that a page could be workable in both Javascript enabled and non-Javascript enabled browsers?I want to have a log-in panel appear upon a mouseOver, but this will mean that no-one can log in if they have not got Javascript enabled. Any possible solution?Thanks,Mark.P.S. I have noticed that many sites do not have this, rather having a separate log-in page - would I be best in this matter to just follow the crowd?

A separate login page is always possible. A nice trick is to return users to their original page when the login is successful. A little session tracking makes that pretty easy.I wonder about the user-friendliness of a panel that appears onmouseover. A mouseclick might make more sense. Obviously, I'd have to see it to comment.Is CSS an option?A common strategy for a lot of pages facing this issue (not just logins) is to have certain page elements be visible when the page downloads. If javascript is enabled, the script makes those elements disappear, and then they can behave the way you want them to. Where javascript is not available, the element is always visible. This may affect some design decisions, and the aesthetics might not be perfect, but at least you won't be excluding anyone from full participation. I figure anyone who disables JavaScript knows that their visual experience may not be the same, and that they've chosen to live with that (or their employer has, which amounts to the same thing).

Thank you DD,Now, as I am planning to use CSS for the log-in panel, your solution is perfect! And, I'm pretty clear already on how I can acheive that - yes, aesthetics will be compromised, but that will be fine if it's okay for most users.Thanks for the tip about returning to the orginal page - I will definitely want to do this as it so improves the user experience.As to whether to use onmouseover or onmouseclick, I will give it some thought - I am still working on this site and it's not uploaded to any server yet.Thanks,Mark.

Archived