Refreshing sites properly

Water

In my creating of websites and experimenting with various new bits of CSS and PHP I've found I'm creating far more problems for myself than are necessary- I'll try another solution, upload it then check...only to see its not working.I've wasted so much time due to this before I realised why- my site isn't refreshing for me right!I've tried all sorts of ways to fix this. I have jonny cache installed to stop it cashing- nope, I press shift and reload and a variety of other button combos- nope.About the only way I can do it is by loading up chrome or IE and having a look on there (I'm normally on firefox). But this only gives me one or two turns before it stops reloading again.So...is there any good way to absolutely make your site completely reload for you with the latest version every time?

if you're testing PHP code you should absolutely be trying to test locally, especially if your interest is in cutting down on development/testing time. Depending on your OS (Mac/Windows), look up MAMP or WAMP. It will install an Apache and SQL server locally so you can test PHP on it. (and manage databases as well). Personally, I never have any real problems with this sort of caching locally, or live for the most part. And if it is, clearing cache pretty much always solves the problem.It could just be some poorly implemented selectors, or invalid output being generated from PHP. Perhaps if you could show us some code, or a live link, we would could provide more specific feedback.

What I do when a page is cached is append the url with a new variable like so:

http://localhost?var=1

And I just change the value on each reload (learned this from studying Ajax). You problem might be solved by taking a break though. :)

Your server may be implementing caching too, or even load balancing between different servers that aren't instantaneously updated.

Archived