[solved] Prevent problems with logging

lambik

Hi. This time I have another problem with logging on on my website. I created username lambik and registered. When I try registering new username as LaMBik, it doesnt count, but if I try log on as LaMBik it is accepted and it is causing a lot of problems. For example I cant send message to myself but when I am logged as LaMBik I can and then it causes a lot of bugs...In login form I tried this code

$sql="SELECT * from users WHERE meno=='$_POST[login]' && heslo=='$_POST[heslo]'";$result=mysql_query($sql,$spojenie) or die(mysql_error());return  mysql_num_rows($result);

If the last line is equal to 1 it will log me on. But there is an error which says You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '=='' && heslo==''' at line 1 and that means I must change that code to this

$sql="SELECT * from users WHERE meno='$_POST[login]' && heslo='$_POST[heslo]'";$result=mysql_query($sql,$spojenie) or die(mysql_error());return  mysql_num_rows($result);

And if I have that code it allows me to log on using both nicks or I can combine big and small letters it doesnt matter. Anyone know how to solve this? Thanks

Your query should be this:

$sql="SELECT * from users WHERE meno='{$_POST['login']}' && heslo='{$_POST['heslo']}'";

The = is the correct operator to use for SQL. The reason it is case-insensitive is because your table is using case-insensitive collation. You may see the collation on the table listed as "utf8_unicode_ci", the "ci" there means case-insensitive. If you want case-sensitive comparison you need to use a different collation for the table.

you have to make your column collation to case sensitive collation

Archived