Custom TLD With Webhost?

Twango

Someone on Yahoo Answers said that if you use a webhost (not like Weebly or Webs) you can get a custom TLD.I was just wondering if that's true of if that guy's an idiot.Thanks

You can set up a domain on any server where you have permission to do so. You're not going to get a custom TLD, but you can get whatever domain you want that isn't taken. TLDs aren't something that anyone can just set up, there are root DNS servers which point to the DNS servers for each TLD, and if those servers don't list your custom TLD then no one will be able to reach it. Some people probably confuse the terms "TLD" and "domain" though.But if you're controlling the DNS server for a network, then you can set up whatever you want for the clients which use that DNS server.

No they didn't get it confused ~ but wait.On my host, can I get a ".es" domain for free? Like with the right DNS settings?

Domains aren't free, so you can get a free domain if your host wants to pay for it for you. Many hosts charge higher prices in general and then offer things like domains, which normally cost around $10, for free.

I think you're the one getting confused about TLDs, or you're worded the OP incorrectly.The impression I get from your first post leads me to believe that person thought he could create any TLD he wanted.A TLD is what the web address ends in; .com, .net, .org, .biz, etc.Domain names are what they're giving out, not custom top level domains.If you could make your own TLD, it would look more like http://www.example.lulzHope that clarifies the situation a bit.

I KNOW what a TLD is!!!Here's what this guy on Yahoo answers said:

Yes it is possible.You can have something like_www.extension.abcbaAll you need is a web hosting server or service that allows you to do this type of stuff.You will most likely need your own server to create an extensionand you always need the www. because that stands for world wide web and all websites go to the world____The reason why people don't have their own extensions is because(a) People would be having to memorize to many extensions, as for now if people live in certain areas of the world they focus on one extension. (Canada is a .ca)____Web extensions mean more than just being a web extension. For Example:.com means communication meaning you try to communicate with people.ca means Canada where the website was created in Canada or it includes stuff about Canada(found only in Canada).gov means Government for government site's (found almost everywhere).edu means education meaning the website is educational or it is a school website(Found almost everywhere)___You see, if you had your own extension like .lol then it would have to mean something. We made it easy for people to maneuver their way around the web instead of having to memorize a domain extension and name all because some person had to create a domain and domain extension that doesn't make sense to man.__So when you said "Or is this even possible?", this is definitely possible, and if not possible... then how did the .com, ya.hoo, and .co come to the internet__YAHOO on the other hand created their own extension because all your adding is a dot in the middle so people could still easily memorize the domain__Think about how confusing it would be to memorize one million domain extensions... Think about

Here are some hints how you can tell the guy doesn't know what he's talking about:

You will most likely need your own server to create an extension
"Most likely" isn't an answer.
and you always need the www. because that stands for world wide web and all websites go to the world
That's just stupid.
.com means communication meaning you try to communicate with people
No, .com is for commercial organizations (companies). As opposed to .org, which is for non-commercial organizations.
.ca means Canada where the website was created in Canada or it includes stuff about Canada(found only in Canada)
Not really, it means it's registered or hosted in Canada.The rest of his "answers" are similar crap. "ya.hoo" is not even a valid domain (.hoo is not a TLD). The authority which regulates TLDs is the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). In fact, you can see on their page that they just approved the .xxx TLD, which is to be used for sites that your mother doesn't want you going to.http://icann.org/en/tlds/select.htm

Also, how does "dot.tk" give free .tk domains?
dot.tk gives the free domain but its not reliable though. i had heared lot of people to complain about that. they gives you a domain in free but when your domain got certain numbers of huge hit they just sold that domain to others or insist you to buy a premium one which is higher price than .com domain. I did not read through their TOS, may be its mentioned there. if you are going to use it as education purpose or test purpose its ok (i use one).But its not good for long term or commercial use.Nothing is actually free here.

YAHOO on the other hand created their own extension because all your adding is a dot in the middle so people could still easily memorize the domain
:)Anyway, dot.tk can give out free domain names on the .tk ccTLD because the administrators of that TLD (i.e., Tokelau) don't charge for it. This is the same as me giving out domain names of the form <something>.aspektas.com.

Here are some hints how you can tell the guy doesn't know what he's talking about:"Most likely" isn't an answer.That's just stupid.No, .com is for commercial organizations (companies). As opposed to .org, which is for non-commercial organizations.Not really, it means it's registered or hosted in Canada.The rest of his "answers" are similar crap. "ya.hoo" is not even a valid domain (.hoo is not a TLD). The authority which regulates TLDs is the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN). In fact, you can see on their page that they just approved the .xxx TLD, which is to be used for sites that your mother doesn't want you going to.http://icann.org/en/tlds/select.htmIt's on Yahoo answers.

Archived