Column name throwing syntax error

ShadowMage

I have an interesting situation. I had a query that was working, but I realized that I needed to add another field to the query. So I added the field to the previous query, and then the query failed.This is the query I'm trying to run (I just added the PartTran.SysTime field and added an ORDER BY for SysTime):

SELECT Part.PartNum, PartTran.TranDate, PartTran.SysTime, PartTran.MtlUnitCost, Part.AvgMaterialCost FROM Part Part INNER JOIN PartTran PartTran ON (Part.Company = PartTran.Company AND Part.PartNum = PartTran.PartNum) WHERE ((Part.InActive = 0) AND (PartTran.TranDate >= '2010-10-08') AND (PartTran.TranType = 'PUR-STK')) ORDER BY Part.PartNum ASC, PartTran.TranDate DESC, PartTran.SysTime DESC

That throws the following error:Warning: odbc_exec() [function.odbc-exec]: SQL error: [DataDirect-Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Syntax error (7587), SQL state 37000 in SQLExecDirect in c:\Inetpub\phplib\ODBC.php on line 229I've had problems in the past with the ORDER BY clauses so I tried removing the ORDER BY clause for the PartTran.SysTime field but that still threw the error. On a whim, I tried changing SysTime to a different column name...which worked. This is the query I have now:

SELECT Part.PartNum, PartTran.TranDate, PartTran.TranType, PartTran.MtlUnitCost, Part.AvgMaterialCost FROM Part Part INNER JOIN PartTran PartTran ON (Part.Company = PartTran.Company AND Part.PartNum = PartTran.PartNum) WHERE ((Part.InActive = 0) AND (PartTran.TranDate >= '2010-10-08') AND (PartTran.TranType = 'PUR-STK')) ORDER BY Part.PartNum ASC, PartTran.TranDate DESC

So my question is:What might make one column throw an error while another one does not? Is it possible to specify column-specific permissions/accessibility?Any thoughts/advice would be much appreciated.

"systime" might be a reserved word. Is this MySQL?
Ah, never thought about that.....is there any way to make sure it's looking for a column name instead of the reserved word?(No, it's not MySQL, it's Progress)

If it uses the same syntax as MySQL, column names should go in backquotes. SQL Server uses square brackets. I can't find a lot of documentation for Progress. Also double-check to make sure the column exists in the table and is spelled correctly.

If it uses the same syntax as MySQL, column names should go in backquotes. SQL Server uses square brackets. I can't find a lot of documentation for Progress. Also double-check to make sure the column exists in the table and is spelled correctly.
Hmm...neither the backticks nor the square brackets worked.... :)I'll have to try to dig up some documentation on Progress, I guess. Thanks for the help, jsg.

Archived