Newbie question... HTML5

xhyperx

I have studied the HTML5 chapters on w3schools.com and well, on a number of the chapters, I feel like the info there is inadequate for many of the NEW tags.I apologize for saying that...because I know that someone is working to help us newbies become informed. I dont want to sound scornful or unappreciative.Maybe, and probably, I am wrong. But, I was looking at the <progress> tag, for example. The sample, when run in the TryIt test box does nothing. If I put the attribute 'value' in place, then of course I see a change in the bar. Text therein goes on to say that updating the value attribute would result in a change...and when I do, it does...but there is no code example on how one might implement a Jscript influenced change in that attribute.There is no explanation as to why the <span id="objprogress>76</span>% line of HTML is there.I imagine that I am not the only newbie considering learning and getting certification from w3schools...so, for all of us newbies out here, is there anyone willing to step in and give a simplistic example of how one uses Javascript to update an element like the <progress> element?

I have studied the HTML5 chapters on w3schools.com and well, on a number of the chapters, I feel like the info there is inadequate for many of the NEW tags.I apologize for saying that...because I know that someone is working to help us newbies become informed. I dont want to sound scornful or unappreciative.Maybe, and probably, I am wrong. But, I was looking at the <progress> tag, for example. The sample, when run in the TryIt test box does nothing. If I put the attribute 'value' in place, then of course I see a change in the bar. Text therein goes on to say that updating the value attribute would result in a change...and when I do, it does...but there is no code example on how one might implement a Jscript influenced change in that attribute.There is no explanation as to why the <span id="objprogress>76</span>% line of HTML is there.I imagine that I am not the only newbie considering learning and getting certification from w3schools...so, for all of us newbies out here, is there anyone willing to step in and give a simplistic example of how one uses Javascript to update an element like the <progress> element?
I"m not into all that JS stuff but I do have an application for progress. Let's say I am taking a survey and it is on several screens - have you ever done one of those? At the start of each page, there is usually some sort of progress bar that says what percent complete you are. That is an application for STATIC pages.When I do a download, my browser keeps me informed of the percent progress. So If you are delivering something to me a few pieces at a time, do you know how close to finished you are? If you do, then you can dynamically change the progress indicator and refresh the page. My feeling is: the tool is there. If you have something that suits the tool then use it. Just because <progress> exists does not mean all web sites will have a use for it.Guy

Text within the <progress></progress> tags is ignored if the progress element is implemented. It is displayed if the element is not implemented. This gives you a way of programmatically updating some text in addition to the bar's value (do both). The only reason I see for having a span is so you can apply style rules to the text content that are semantically appropriate for a textual element. I haven't explored this thoroughly, though.

I"m not into all that JS stuff but I do have an application for progress. Let's say I am taking a survey and it is on several screens - have you ever done one of those? At the start of each page, there is usually some sort of progress bar that says what percent complete you are. That is an application for STATIC pages.When I do a download, my browser keeps me informed of the percent progress. So If you are delivering something to me a few pieces at a time, do you know how close to finished you are? If you do, then you can dynamically change the progress indicator and refresh the page. My feeling is: the tool is there. If you have something that suits the tool then use it. Just because <progress> exists does not mean all web sites will have a use for it.Guy
Guy! I'm sure that the progress object would work fine in that scenario. Let's hope someone with some JS and HTML5 experience replies to this question of mine.

Archived