JS: for in & array

tinfanide

My two questions are embedded within the code below:The scripts outside the comments works fine. I want to ask for more of why the scripts within the comments work the way I didn't expect, though.For question 1:If I use innerHTML in this case, it seems that I do not have to use for in. I don't even have to loop through the array, just by simply writing like text.innerHTML = txt; and the thing is done.Is there anything wrong with my use of for in here?For question 2:I wonder how appendChild & createTextNode are different from innerHTML in this case.It works (click and show up the text ONCE only) with innerHTMLbutnot appendChild.Another question there is:I want to click the button to show the text ONCE and for all with appendChild. How can I achieve that effect in JS?Please take a look. Thank you.

<input type="button" value="Click to see what happens!" id="click" /><br /><div id="text"></div><script>var click = document.getElementById("click");var text = document.getElementById("text");	var txt = new Array (3); txt[0] = "I have two cats!"; txt[1] = "I feed them every day!"; txt[2] = "I play with them every evening!"; click.onclick = function(){for (x in txt)	{		text.innerHTML = txt.join("<br />");				/*		text.innerHTML = txt[x]; // why only txt[2] appears?		*/				/*			text.appendChild( document.createTextNode(txt[x]) );		text.appendChild( document.createElement('br') ); // how can I make the click function work only ONCE with appendChild?		*/	}	};</script>

The reason is that you keep assigining a new value to text.I don't like using the for...in loop because it also includes properties such as "length".You would do better with something like this:

var str = ""; // Empty stringfor( conditions ) {  str += somevalue // Append the array element value to the string}text.innerHTML = str;

If you want to check if the button or link was clicked already just set a global variable to true when the event fires the first time:

var clicked = false;click.onclick = function(){  if(clicked) {	return;  } else {	clicked = true; // The button was clicked  }  // Do something}

Archived