Where in the pipeline should special characters be encoded?

ahschmidt

Hi all, I am working on a project where I am designing, and developing HTML templates which will be fed values from some sort of back end. It occurred to me that some of the data may include special characters that may need to be escaped or encoded to render correctly (%, $, &, ect).I have no idea whether that work is being done on the back end, or if it should be done as part of the template. What do you all think?The problem is that I don't have very much information about how the data is being handled other than some example tags that I am supposed to use in my markup for the template. I have no access to the back end team to ask them questions.Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Assume you don't need to transform the data coming to you unless you hear otherwise from the other team. It should be their responsibility to format the data like it needs to be outputted, not your responsibility to transform the data. If the template is transforming all of the data then it won't be possible to do certain things without it getting messed up by the template transformation.

Assume you don't need to transform the data coming to you unless you hear otherwise from the other team. It should be their responsibility to format the data like it needs to be outputted, not your responsibility to transform the data. If the template is transforming all of the data then it won't be possible to do certain things without it getting messed up by the template transformation.
OK, that is what I was thinking as well. I forwarded the question to the client, and we'll see where it goes from here. Thanks for the reply!

Archived