Nav got inside of the wrapper somehow

sinan92

I dont understand how this happenedI made websites earlier but this never happendThe nav is somehow inside of the wrapper while I put them apart from each otherproblem.png

<html><header><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css" /><title>Neurotic FlyFF 3</title></header><body><div id="nav"><ul><li id="forums"><a href="#Forums"></a></li><li id="register"><a href="#Register"></a></li><li id="download"><a href="#Download"></a></li><li id="donation"><a href="#Donation"></a></li></ul></div><div id="wrapper"><div id="staff_box"></div></div><div id="footer"></div></body></html>

body {	z-index: 0; 	background: #000000 url(img/background.jpg) no-repeat center top;	padding:0;	margin-top:-12px;	margin-left:auto;	margin-right:auto;	font:80%/180% Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif;	width:1000px;	height:1000px;	}	/*Navigation*/	#nav {	margin-bottom:100px;	}	#nav ul {	list-style-type:none;	}	#nav ul li#forums {	background:url(img/nav_forums.jpg) no-repeat center top;	padding:1px;	float:left;	margin-left:130px;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#forums a {	display:block;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#register {	background:url(img/nav_register.jpg) no-repeat center top;	padding:1px;	float:left;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#register a {	display:block;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#download {	background:url(img/nav_download.jpg) no-repeat center top;	padding:1px;	float:left;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#download a {	display:block;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#donation {	background:url(img/nav_donation.jpg) no-repeat center top;	padding:1px;	float:left;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	#nav ul li#donation a {	display:block;	width:153px;	height:55px;	}	/*Wrapper*/#wrapper {	padding:1px;	width:1000px;	height:500px;	background-color:red;	}

it's because your nav items are being floated, so they are being taken out of the flow. you could either give the nav a height, or add overflow:auto to it. Also, you have a lot of duplicating in your style definitions, might be a bit more convenient to just create one style for all your <a>'s and <li>'s in the #nav container, and then just make a specific class/id to apply the backgrounds. just a thought.

it's because your nav items are being floated, so they are being taken out of the flow. you could either give the nav a height, or add overflow:auto to it. Also, you have a lot of duplicating in your style definitions, might be a bit more convenient to just create one style for all your <a>'s and <li>'s in the #nav container, and then just make a specific class/id to apply the backgrounds. just a thought.
Oh thanks a lot I will try it! Usually I use inline-block because its one nav but this time it is made of several buttons so didn't really know how I should do itAnd yea thought so too about the last thing :)

right, well the point to be taken from this is the float property being used, not the display property.

Archived