HTML elements within <textarea />

son

Is it not good coding practice to have <p>, <h1> etc within textarea? Just validated page and was a bit surprised. There is no way around this as it enters data in database to be displayed with the relevant HTML element, but I just wonder what the situation is anyway...Son

There IS a workaround. While you're echoing the code, use htmlspecialchars() to encode it as plain text. That is all you need to validate.
But do I not then have the problem of inserting the data into database again? This validation issue occurred on page to update content stored in db for display on a web page...Son

But do I not then have the problem of inserting the data into database again? This validation issue occurred on page to update content stored in db for display on a web page...
If you mean submitting the form again and saving the value of the textarea to the database, no, HTML entities (such as < and >) will be submitted as whatever characters they represent. < will be submitted as '<' and > will be '>'

If you mean submitting the form again and saving the value of the textarea to the database, no, HTML entities (such as < and >) will be submitted as whatever characters they represent. < will be submitted as '<' and > will be '>'
Had a test and seems to work fine... Is this the standard way of dealing with submitting/displaying web page content to be stored in database? Validates now beautyfully:-)Son

It's pretty much the standard way, yes. Or rather, it's what's the way according to the standards... the best way... not necessarily what people always actually do.

It's pretty much the standard way, yes. Or rather, it's what's the way according to the standards... the best way... not necessarily what people always actually do.
I see what you mean. I always get a funny look when I validate all my pages as it is rather time consuming. However, I also like it for personal reasons as it helps me to get better coding practice:-)I will use now$pageContent = htmlspecialchars($pageContent, ENT_NOQUOTES);to display text in the textareas on all pages.Thanks for help with this,Son

Archived