Bugs with CSS gradients

Fmdpa

I'm having trouble with CSS3 gradients:White => transparent

background: linear-gradient(bottom, white, transparent); background:-o-linear-gradient(bottom, white, transparent);background:-ms-linear-gradient(bottom, white, transparent); background:-moz-linear-gradient(bottom, white, transparent); background:-webkit-linear-gradient(bottom, white, transparent); background:-webkit-gradient(linear, left bottom, left top, from(white), to(rgba(0, 0, 0, 0)));

This gradient, in Safari and Firefox, does not display as I want it to. Instead of going directly from white to transparent, it goes white->gray->transparent. This is not what I want. Black => transparent

background: linear-gradient(top, black, transparent); /* standard CSS3 */background: -o-linear-gradient(top, black, transparent); /* Opera */background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, black, transparent); /* IE 10 */background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, black, transparent); /* Firefox */background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, black, transparent); /* New Webkit */background: -webkit-gradient(linear, left top, left bottom, from(black), to(rgba(0, 0, 0, 0))); /* Old Webkit */

This gradient suffers in IE 10 PP2. Instead of going directly from black to transparent, it does black->gray->transparent. Is there a way I can fix these problems now or must I wait until IE's, Firefox's, and Webkit's gradient rendering engine is fixed?

As for the webkit version, you could probably set the color to rgba(255, 255, 255, 0) so that the semi-transparent pixels next to it tend to white. I don't know about the other browsers, though.Rather than transparent, see if it lets you use transparent white. Because in a gradient, if the transparent color is black then the visible pixels next to it will tend towards black.

When I tell the gradient to go from white to transparent, I don't want it to go from white to gray to transparent. The same with black to transparent.

That makes sense, but it seems like the browser engineers would make "transparent" equal to the last color stop in the gradient with an alpha opacity of 0.

OK, I looked up the specification. The "transparent" keyword officially means transparent black: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#transparent-defStandard browsers will continue implementing it that way. As a developer it's best if you define the colors of your gradient explicitly.

Archived